Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I committed the crime the night of the 7th and there must be something wrong with me. I shoved 8 chicks under this little bantam. The eggs were not good so bought 8 pullets from the back of the store,lol have a good friend in FFH. But morning of the 8th, there was a little nugget. Lil'Mama 's baby hatched. I didn't know I was going to loose her that same day.
But Lupita took the chicks just fine. Just clicking away with them teaching them stuff inside the coop and then on their little run.

Screenshot_20230607-230017_Ring.jpg
Screenshot_20230607-230208_Ring.jpg
Screenshot_20230608-073902_Ring.jpg
20230608_075307.jpg
20230608_104532.jpg
20230609_094253.jpg
So funny to watch them drink water. All go down and all go up and al you see it their tiny beaks moving,lol

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry you lost your little sweet hen. I never allow the hens with new chicks with the roosters until the chicks are several days old at the soonest... and often let them raise the chicks totally without any roosters to bother them. Cubalaya's are not the quietest dispositioned ones being in the game bird family... but young roosters are a PITA most of the time.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry you lost your little sweet hen. I never allow the hens with new chicks with the roosters until the chicks are several days old at the soonest... and often let them raise the chicks totally without any roosters to bother them. Cubalaya's are not the quietest dispositioned ones being in the game bird family... but young roosters are a PITA most of the time.
Oh, Pitbull is amazing with the babies. His sob, wouldn't try. Some have escaped and he has not bothered them but I keep checking because Lupita make holes and they just go under, lol

I think that Lovechild ran his mother to a heart attack.
Chickens are separated with mama and Pitbull. He is trustworthy. He gets them food and scratches for them. He is a good dad.
Maybe next week,I will bring them out to the yard. Of course, I will be supervising.