Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Little "egg-speriment" will chickens like leftover sugar baby watermelon or rotten end butternut squash better? Or will both be devoured come morning? 😂 Butternut is raw so might be a little to hard for them. Either way, at least they are eating good.
View attachment 20182

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Eat it all. My silkies eat harder squash than butternut. Watermelon is everyone's favorite, though, so it will go first and fill them up. Then they will get to the squash.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Are these two girls or boys? 5 weeks, may be a touch early. Hackles are rounded and they still have a little baby fluff left on their bodies. One has a little pink on wattles (#1), the other not any color. I can't ever tell with pea combs, give me a single comb any day! #1 has yellow legs and #4 has grey eggs. Barnyard mixes both hatched from mint green eggs.
I agree with @farmerjan . #4 has male color in his wings. I can’t see any of that in #1, so maybe maybe not. I need to go back and look at my guesses from last time you posted. Assuming you kept their numbers the same.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree with @farmerjan . #4 has male color in his wings. I can’t see any of that in #1, so maybe maybe not. I need to go back and look at my guesses from last time you posted. Assuming you kept their numbers the same.
numbers are the same---fingers crossed some of your thoughts have changed since I think it was only 1 girl out of 5 before :) I don't need answers right now, I was thinking at 8 weeks I would look to you for some more solid thoughts on genders, for now I am just trying to get a handle on reality so that I can find homes for them.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
numbers are the same---fingers crossed some of your thoughts have changed since I think it was only 1 girl out of 5 before :) I don't need answers right now, I was thinking at 8 weeks I would look to you for some more solid thoughts on genders, for now I am just trying to get a handle on reality so that I can find homes for them.
Well I just went back and looked, and before #1 was a grey chick! These two recent pictures look like maybe #s 3&4?

When you get a chance, post all 5 again:)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
9 weeks will give much better idea.

Of course I raise birds where in most colors, many times you really can't sex them until they crow or lay an egg around 9 months.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I just went back and looked, and before #1 was a grey chick! These two recent pictures look like maybe #s 3&4?

When you get a chance, post all 5 again:)
haha you are right, shouldn't have let my daughter help with labeling :) Yes 3 and 4 from before. :) I can add them now or just wait-up to you.
9 weeks will give much better idea.

Of course I raise birds where in most colors, many times you really can't sex them until they crow or lay an egg around 9 months.
I can totally wait until 8-9 weeks too, from my understanding the ones should show a pretty good idea by then but by at least 12 weeks when the rooster feathers really start to come in.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is this one a rooster? Born July 2nd. He/she is a mix of Cubalaya roo and mother is a Sebright. One is already crowing but the feathers on this one's tail seem like a boy but not crowing yet. #2 is a boy for sure. His comb is red and crows, or at least tries all day long. Named him Kikiriki.
#1 side
20220828_104145.jpg
#1 back
20220828_104338.jpg

#2 rooster
20220828_104233.jpg

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is this one a rooster? Born July 2nd. He/she is a mix of Cubalaya roo and mother is a Sebright. One is already crowing but the feathers on this one's tail seem like a boy but not crowing yet. #2 is a boy for sure. His comb is red and crows, or at least tries all day long. Named him Kikiriki.
#1 side
View attachment 20190
#1 back
View attachment 20191

#2 rooster
View attachment 20192
With a silver Sebright mother, she will only give her silver gene to her sons. Whether the daughters get a silver or gold gene depends on the father. Is your Sebright hen silver or gold? What about the Cubalaya?

While the chick in the first photo looks feminine to me, it also seems to have both silver parts and yellow parts. Which suggests silver/gold, and only males can have one copy of each. With females it’s either-or, not both.