Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've left mine with a cat/dog carrier in coop, open. They used it as a home base...in and out as they pleased. Momma did hatch in it, too. They mingled with others as mom hen wanted. She trained them to roost. Surprising how and where those little things could learn to go.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've left mine with a cat/dog carrier in coop, open. They used it as a home base...in and out as they pleased. Momma did hatch in it, too. They mingled with others as mom hen wanted. She trained them to roost. Surprising how and where those little things could learn to go.
That is what I am doing but just the bottom, seemed good this morning. Just waiting on #3 to hatch. I will move food and water away from the opening tomorrow and then remove by Wed and she can take them out to eat/drink as I never have food or water in the coop.

Attachments

• 20221023_073016.jpg
    20221023_073016.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 71

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Did you have your closed off in a special section or did you just let mama do her thing? I can take off the door to the crate at any time or just move her out too, it is all possible! Thanks for the help
I just close the door to the outside run so a chicks can't get outside. I lost one that way

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is what I am doing but just the bottom, seemed good this morning. Just waiting on #3 to hatch. I will move food and water away from the opening tomorrow and then remove by Wed and she can take them out to eat/drink as I never have food or water in the coop.
I like your set up just the way it is T2Real. In the coop I just leave them be, in the tractor the same. I put a little waterer and chick starter just like you have, and it doesn't seem to help much, the broodys usually have them out eating as soon as they are ready. I don't even stop free ranging them. That is mostly due to the small, small runs I have and it saves the other chickens from mama, if they can leave.
The tractor coop is about 3ft off the ground. We have to pick them up and put them in for about 5 days, after mama goes to bed. It's a sight sometimes when she stands in the door calling them, she won't go in and she won't let you help. The sight is when she comes out.
Side note they can live for 3 days without food from what they soak up right before hatching. (That's how they can ship day old chicks) Not to say don't worry about feeding them, just saying if you don't notice them eating or don't think they are getting enough, those couple of days give them time to learn.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Two hatched yesterday and the last one had a pip when I closed them up last night!

So, I have mama and babies in a dog crate in the coop with the door closed (food and water offered during the day). Now when should I open up the door so she can decide to take them out? I have only done this once with a broody, and I had separated her for too long and it was hard for her to integrate back and show the rest of the chickens who was boss--that was 5 or 7 days I believe. I am thinking that I see if the 3rd one hatched last night and give them today still in lockdown and then take the door off starting tomorrow or just remove the crate totallly and let her pick her spot in the coop? I don't usually put food in the coop but I could put some in one of the corners for a couple days so she wouldn't have to take them out until they were 5-7 days? OR do I just let her do her thing? Any advice is welcome. I understand some people's chickens are their pets and are treated very protectively, Mine are loved and have very nice/clean living quarters, get handled/attention daily but they are farm animals with a purpose. They won't be butchered when they are done laying and will be able to live their life fully but they are not allowed to stay in the house or similar.

Thanks for any advice given.

Most of mine want to be out with the chicks within 24 hours of the last one hatching. I put out food and water close to each other as the hens tend to park their butts close to them so chicks can just run out for snacks. Mama will move around a bit but stays close.

It's been awhile since I had a large fowl raise chicks. Silkies are a bit different on it. Mostly in that it's possible that other members of the flock will help occasionally. Like the 24 week old cockerel who was trying feed the youngest batch of chicks last week. Or the elderly hens who try to help warm up a chirping chicks every now and then. All allow chicks to sleep under them at night.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Did you have your closed off in a special section or did you just let mama do her thing? I can take off the door to the crate at any time or just move her out too, it is all possible! Thanks for the help
I have a run around 17x22. I divided the run and had a cage for a group of 3 terrorists that I ended culling. In the first picture now there is a small home built for the small family.but that run along the side is also divided in 2 more smaller spaces. Once Lil'Mama went broody and decided to let her sit on four eggs, I put her in the end by herself until after the peeps hatched.
2CAA8EEFDC7B_1666543683659.jpg

Pitbull the roo and the one that laid those 4 eggs were on the other 2 sides. They big 6 girls had complete view of all that was happening through chicken wire only. They hatched on July 2nd and by July 4th they were out of the nest learning how to scratch.
VideoCapture_20220704-172636.jpg
By July 7th Pitbull papa and the real mom were allowed with them. They will roost on top over the nesting box while surrogated,lol moms slept in the nest with the peeps.

20220705_092912.jpg

1658422612.png
By July 10, I let them outside but kept the big girls inside just in case.
20220707_085323.jpg
I mainly let them out and guide them to the garden so I could let the big girls out knowing that Pitbull will defend the peeps.

D03F272E01B2_1659745278170.png
By August 20, they were all together since they were ably to fly high except Pitbull. Big girls do not like him and he doesn't like them and hurts them.

Now since one of the cockerels is too rough, he is with Pitbull in the house while everyone else is in the big coop.
I know you might have expected a simple answer but I think that this way with a few pictures, you can visualize and make your own opinion and decide what would work for you.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks all! The 3rd just hatched. Mama is doing good with everyone hanging out, the Leghorn was even laying in the nest with her.

I think I am out there enough that if one gets out I can help it back, but I can't close it off completely or where with the big girls lay? Lol

Enjoying some sun with mama. I love how they waddle ;) until they can walk. Mama did get off and take a great big ole poop!

Attachments

• 20221023_122533.jpg
    20221023_122533.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 52

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mama hen did it! She ditched the crate and found the corner she wants in the coop. She also got them outside today, settled right in the feeder and waterer I put on the ground for them AND got all 3 right back up the patio blocks and into the coop! It was a good day. I think all is going to be ok.

Latest posts