Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I think my Rachel did not ised the stairs this morning. When I went to open the side to for more air to flow since it was not going to be cold, noticed her limping. Grabbed her and check her bottom of her feet, did a full legs and thighs or hip check and nothing broken. Made her a warm bath with Epsom salt for any muscle aches and kept her in my bathroom. She complained all day. By this afternoon she was walking fine and was able to scratch with both feet,lol She gave me a good scare. None have been sick in 2 yrs. They are just getting old,lol

20221024_082008.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221024_231139.jpg
    Screenshot_20221024_231139.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 47

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I think my Rachel did not ised the stairs this morning. When I went to open the side to for more air to flow since it was not going to be cold, noticed her limping. Grabbed her and check her bottom of her feet, did a full legs and thighs or hip check and nothing broken. Made her a warm bath with Epsom salt for any muscle aches and kept her in my bathroom. She complained all day. By this afternoon she was walking fine and was able to scratch with both feet,lol She gave me a good scare. None have been sick in 2 yrs. They are just getting old,lol

View attachment 20851
Glad she is ok! Stinks when animals get old.

Last edited:

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mama hen did it! She ditched the crate and found the corner she wants in the coop. She also got them outside today, settled right in the feeder and waterer I put on the ground for them AND got all 3 right back up the patio blocks and into the coop! It was a good day. I think all is going to be ok.
How many peeps you got? I would love to see some pictures.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone has ducks? I have a 7gl for water but that dozen go through it in less than a day. I got the heating plate for underneath and the extentions set and ready to plug in but I think I will have to walk there at least twice a day. I only do once to the chickens because they do not go through water that fast and one trip is enough to check food, water and collect eggs. Any advice will be appreciated!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Silkie and project silkie eggs.

20221029_133927.jpg

The project girls are looking good this (4th) generation. Just have to see of they lay green as well. They only carry one copy of the blue gene right now. I have a cockerel (also 4th gen) who is a very good candidate to keep for breeding finally. He's more orange than I like but looks better than many of the silkie cockerels I hatched this year.

It's just from the whim that many people get to have a silkie who's ears match their eggs. Granted you can't get turquoise eggs.