Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Another question. I use poop tubs. Can I dump them into my garden beds right now? I'll be planting in May or so.
In a short answer... yes. By the time you get the manure worked into the soil, it will have lost much of the nitrogen to the atmosphere, and it will no longer burn the plants. I use fresh poultry litter all the time... in the walkways between crops and put straw overtop to walk on.... and by the time it "gets into the soil" it will not burn the plants....
It would be different for raised beds/container planting... Putting it on at least 60-90 days before planting will be fine... but after than it needs to be composted. The high nitrogen is what causes the "burning" of the plants.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In a short answer... yes. By the time you get the manure worked into the soil, it will have lost much of the nitrogen to the atmosphere, and it will no longer burn the plants. I use fresh poultry litter all the time... in the walkways between crops and put straw overtop to walk on.... and by the time it "gets into the soil" it will not burn the plants....
It would be different for raised beds/container planting... Putting it on at least 60-90 days before planting will be fine... but after than it needs to be composted. The high nitrogen is what causes the "burning" of the plants.
Ditto.

For those who use deep liter instead of poop tubs. The shavings will greatly help counteract the excess nitrogen in the poop, It still needs to be composted, although you can cheat it a lot, but when mixed is almost a perfect fertilizer.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if anything, in the fall dig some nice trenches that can be filled in as needed and then in the spring you can use fresh garden soil over the top to cap the area and then plant into that (or if the plants might have troubles offset planting between the trenches and the plant roots will go in there if it is compatible with them).

i do this with the worm compost and it works out nicely. i don't disturb the area for a few seasons in most cases because of how i rotate plant but when i do that then helps mix the compost into the rest of the garden through time. no big effort needed.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After the first molt they can get bigger. Some breeds just lay bigger eggs.

Some as they get old, the eggs can get smaller. My last ameraucana layed large eggs for years. She lays medium now but she's 9. The 12 year old easter egger still lays a large egg when she does lay.

ETA pullet eggs will change to larger eggs after some time

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This one is for you, FJ. Such a valiant effort!!
IMG_3210.JPG