Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think by day 3 they come out with mom. I read that and mine was on schedule but might take more. Not a pro to give much advise.
Did you have your closed off in a special section or did you just let mama do her thing? I can take off the door to the crate at any time or just move her out too, it is all possible! Thanks for the help

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mama hen did it! She ditched the crate and found the corner she wants in the coop. She also got them outside today, settled right in the feeder and waterer I put on the ground for them AND got all 3 right back up the patio blocks and into the coop! It was a good day. I think all is going to be ok.
How many peeps you got? I would love to see some pictures.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I think you were talking about prices for broilers. @baymule posted this hatchery with $1.95 Cornish cross ...https://www.valleyfarmshatchery.com/online-store

Didnt check s/h fees but...go look. In Alabama.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Help! One of my mama's, the one that has been limping, noticed she has super long nails. Finally grabbed her and washed her feet and found what might be bumble foot. Nothing to pop or squeeze. What should I do? 20230313_170737.jpg

20230313_170731.jpg

20230313_170703.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
This is what happens when people don’t know what they are doing and breed blue and lavender together. Anything that doesn’t come out black they just call lavender, without realizing it’s just blue or splash. Very likely they had a splash rooster over lavender hens, so they didn’t get any black chicks at all. Cuz that might have clued them in that their “lavenders” weren’t “pure”. 🤦‍♀️

If that’s what they did, then your blue Orpingtons could be split to lavender. But with your rooster being splash, you wouldn’t be able to breed the blue out in the first generation. Not really worth the trouble to try to get the lavender gene to double up and express. If you did get a lavender chick and it also had the blue gene, I don’t know how you would be able to tell.
I sold my blue hens. Sad, because they were the sweetest birds I've ever had. I'm undecided re: splash rooster.

I also spent way too much money on a blue frizzle Americauna pullet. That's a rooster too. 🤦‍♀️ What a mess! I won't be hatching any eggs this year.