Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, I am comfortable doing this. I have kept the door open between her pen and the rest of the run all day yesterday and no one seemed to have any marks or injuries :) I am going to open it all up this afternoon. They will be 5 weeks old this Sat, so they gotta learn and there is more than enough space, roosts, feed/waterers and hiding spots in the run with space for 25 and I only have 12 counting the chicks.

Let her run free in the coop and roost too? If I didn't have to enclose her my life would be amazing. Mama hen takes them to a nesting box now so they aren't on the floor.
I would imagine that if she has been separated from the flock for a period of time, she will have lost status and may experience an attitude adjustment. But, yeah, it sounds like you have done enough gradual integrating. Time to let her loose and see how she does.

MeanCheek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
20220824_134434.jpg

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought chicks at our chain farm store about 5 weeks ago. They were $1 each. 12 of various types and were on clearance due to being over a week old and another order from Jenks Poultry coming in.

This past Monday they went into their coop. I'm not letting them out cus they are not fully feathered and I don't have a coop auto door yet purchased. They are dang cute!

The coop came with the property we purchased. I've always used mortar tubs for night time pooping during roosting. So we modified it a bit to make them fit. I still have to do a predator apron about 2 ft out from the fence. I think its too large for me to cover the run tho.
IMG_1602.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1600.JPG

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What??? Hi-Tech Redneck works! It got dark the door closed, the sun rose and the door opened 🤯 Chickens are getting moved out of the brooder room into the chicken yard sometime this week 👍 now... Let's just hope foxes can't read and push manual override buttons.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After supper last night I grabbed a sugar baby water melon that I picked out of the garden. I cut it open and the seed cavity looked like pink cotton candy. It scraped out easy with a large spoon. What was let was fully ripe watermelon. I mean it was sweet all the way down to the rine. After we were done, I gave what was left from my wife's 1/2 and my 1/2 to the chickens. This is what I found this morning when I fed them 😂 I guess even the rine was good to chickens because all that's left is the skins 👍 I saved the seeds out of that sugar baby. It was kind of unique and really sweet. My wife said plant that again next year 👍

IMG_20220905_171605488~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited: