Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mama hen weaned her chicks yesterday, she had been giving them more distance and not calling them for food. Poor things were so confused. Spent a lot of their time in the coop roosting ;) a couple hens seemed to be a bit annoying when they try and come out of the coop so I will need to watch for a few days to make sure they get out to eat. I have 3 food and watering stations so they should be ok if they can get out of the coop. Last night at bedtime 2 were on the roost and 3 in the nesting boxes, so I moved those 3 up to the roost by their hatch mates. Time will tell, lol

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Huge vaulted skull on this silkie chick. I don't actually breed for it. I've bred for crests big enough it can't make a difference.

20220922_141258.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Automatic Chicken Coop Door.

My review...

It works and I like it. Chickens have learned to get their butts in the coop before the door closes or else I catch them and put them inside (they don't like that much). It took them about a week to learn.

The door... You can program how hard it closes, put it on a timer or dust to dawn. It was easy to install. I just cut a piece of pressure treated plywood to fit, easy...
IMG_20220922_164825954~2.jpg

The battery (rechargeable 12 volt lithium) green light means fully charged, yellow partly charged, red not charged. I mounted it behind the solar panel.
IMG_20220922_164932397~2.jpg

The solar panel recharges the battery, that's it's only purpose in life. Seems to work ok, I have it facing east. It only get so much direct morning and late morning sun but still fully charged the battery.
IMG_20220922_164857194.jpg

I like that I don't have to remember to lock up the coop at night anymore. Me forgetting is how we lost all of our chickens. Best I could tell by the tracks, it was a fox or two that killed all of them overnight.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Put our 3 ducklings hatched by turkeys out on the pasture for the first time this morning. All seems well so far, they seemed to have taken to the 6 ducks ok. But at times seperated themselves, there's safety in numbers. So I have them all in the barn tonight, instead of the turkey yard. I will continue to put them up in the barn at night until they are fully flock-o-nized.

We are back to 9 that's what we started with, crazy quackers 😂
IMG_20220924_182407535.jpg

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Automatic Chicken Coop Door.

My review...

It works and I like it. Chickens have learned to get their butts in the coop before the door closes or else I catch them and put them inside (they don't like that much). It took them about a week to learn.

The door... You can program how hard it closes, put it on a timer or dust to dawn. It was easy to install. I just cut a piece of pressure treated plywood to fit, easy...
View attachment 20383

The battery (rechargeable 12 volt lithium) green light means fully charged, yellow partly charged, red not charged. I mounted it behind the solar panel.
View attachment 20384

The solar panel recharges the battery, that's it's only purpose in life. Seems to work ok, I have it facing east. It only get so much direct morning and late morning sun but still fully charged the battery.
View attachment 20393

I like that I don't have to remember to lock up the coop at night anymore. Me forgetting is how we lost all of our chickens. Best I could tell by the tracks, it was a fox or two that killed all of them overnight.

I bought a hipykat and took me about a month to figure it out. Still cannot close or open manually but it is wide enough for the quackies. The T50 is my favorite door. Just change times using my cell and done. Have 2 and love them. However, not wide enough for ducks.