Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use a bucket in winter for the chicken pens and haul from the house. 6 pens to fill. We usually don't have to disconnect the hose until mid-November at the earliest.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So cute! He got into a 5gl bucket?
Ok, so just realized that my ducks are over 200ft away from the house. Just disconnected the hose due to freeze warning for tonight. How do I get water for them?
I really have no idea how that crazy quaker got into the 5 gallon bucket. It's the second time it's happened.

Duck n- Bucket
Ingredients: All Natural Duck, Water, Food Grade Bucket

My routine is to house them in the turkey yard at night. I let them out in the morning with a 5 gallon bucket of water. They dribble out of the bucket during the day. I fill the turkey waterer with another 5 gallon bucket while the ducks are out. If I don't do it this way, the turkey waterer will be dry because the ducks will dribble it until gone. The way it works now is rvery morning the turkey waterer is empty, so every morning I fill it up (5 gallons). Alone my 4 turkeys drink about 5 gallons of water every week. Add 9 ducks and it's 5 gallons every night.

Quack, Quack, Quack!

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@CrealCritter love you recipe. Will sure try it soo,lol
@Hinotori here in Michigan is just like Florida, you never really know what you going to get nor when,lol
I am close to Lake Michigan, so all the west and north winds hits me. This is going to be a challenging winter. It was not with the chickens because 2 construction extension cords give me electricity to the coop and the other to the run with a triple spliter for 2 dog heated bowls. They go through the pantry window. They do not drink that much after. Now the ducks is a different kind of challenge. They are farther and need more water.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So cute! He got into a 5gl bucket?
Ok, so just realized that my ducks are over 200ft away from the house. Just disconnected the hose due to freeze warning for tonight. How do I get water for them?
You should be able to re-hook during the day until the temp stays below freezing, or at least that is what I do here. I usually have to haul with buckets to the chickens from the house, makes for a long winter but there isn't any other way here.

I have a broody sitting on 6 eggs, hatch day is Oct 23rd-could be 60s or we could have snow! Lol crazy bird. I will not be separating out this hatch for a couple reasons 1. chickens have been hatching chicks for YEARS they know better than me and 2. I can't separate during fall/winter as they need as much access to the coop and tarped run as possible depending on temps. Hopefully they survive but it is what it is

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You should be able to re-hook during the day until the temp stays below freezing, or at least that is what I do here. I usually have to haul with buckets to the chickens from the house, makes for a long winter but there isn't any other way here.

I have a broody sitting on 6 eggs, hatch day is Oct 23rd-could be 60s or we could have snow! Lol crazy bird. I will not be separating out this hatch for a couple reasons 1. chickens have been hatching chicks for YEARS they know better than me and 2. I can't separate during fall/winter as they need as much access to the coop and tarped run as possible depending on temps. Hopefully they survive but it is what it is

I've had silkies raise chicks in freezing temps in the middle of winter just fine, but silkies sleep in piles and everyone lets chicks sleep under them.

It's the water issue that makes me keep eggs away during winter.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It takes a village...🥰

Most of my hens will not cuddle one not theirs. Very selective...non communal. 🤔
I have two that have let this new batch of chicks snuggle up next to them since mama let them go. I also have 2 that will literally push them off the roosting bars.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Silkies are different birds. One of the 25 week old cockerels was trying to feed the new chicks yesterday. It was rather adorable. He kept picking up pieces and trying to give them to the chicks.

Those boys have just learned to crow and aren't quite mature enough to mate yet. The rooster in there is an old man and teaches them to be calm birds and have manner.

Latest posts