Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lil'Mama is broody again. I guess she forgot how hard was to have chicks, but she was amazing. She had 4 Sebright-Cubaya mix. One of them being LoveChild who has heart shapes on chest feathers has been the only one that has mate the big girls. So this time, she is sitting on 2 ISA,2 EE,and 3 leghorn eggs. In 2 weeks will move her to her ward so she is alone when chicks come. Kind of excited, she is a small bird and sitting on big bird's eggs.
20230426_162825.jpg

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yesterday was judgement day for my accidental rooster. Hubs has been wanting to dispatch him, but I've not nagged him about getting it done. But yesterday, he finally did the deed.

I went into the area, to let the chickens out of their covered muddy run. The Rooster fluffed up his neck and attacked me. I kicked his head about four times, but boy oh boy was he fast in jumping back. Hubs got his pellet gun, pumped it once and put a bullet? in. I coaxed the roo into the muddy run, and then closed the door so the hens wouldn't be in the way. Hubs crouched in there, got the roo on the side of the neck. Then another pump, pellet? and got him in the head. I then ran in, crouched over cus the roof isn't high, grabbed the roo by the feathers, and got out into the grass area. The roo woke up and was spitting mad. Hubs stomped on his head. Put him into a 5 gal bucket and put it on the other side of our new field fence in the wooded area. This was right after lunch.

At about 5, I reminded hubs about the rooster in the bucket. Well, lo and behold, he was out of the bucket, looking at us. I grabbed him and again he was mad. I said for hubs to get his machete. Two chops on the head, then the rooster was gone. But he kept breathing!!! Hubs dug a hole in the forest area and then dropped him in, covered with some dirt, and branches and two large broken concrete blocks.

There. Done. Icky.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
These look interesting