Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Also, you wrote “Americauna”. That’s hatchery code for Easter Egger. If they spell it incorrectly, then they aren’t claiming to be selling pure Ameraucanas, are they? 😉 Some hatcheries will just come right out and call them Easter Eggers. I don’t know why other hatcheries persist in trying to trick people. I guess because it works. You said you paid too much for yours. Did you get him from a breeder?

The fact that he’s frizzled means he was mixed with something somewhere along the line. Hopefully he has at least one blue gene to pass on.
The breeder has many breeds and keeps the breeding stock all separated by breed. They're known for show quality stock. But they incubate and raise chicks all mixed together, which is probably why my first orps ended up being blue.

They sell fertile eggs or older birds - I can try that to reduce the chances of mistakes in the future.

I want pure lavender orps that breed true. For selling hatching eggs and chicks. So I'm unlikely to keep my splash rooster.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They make money off the frizzles - they sell for twice as much. They keep frizzles in several breeds.
I would love a frizzle just about anything!

I bought Tolbunt Polish chicks last year, with a chance that some might be frizzled. Nope, none of mine. (But I still like them.)

I have a frizzled satin Silkie rooster. He’s obviously mixed with something, (maybe Polish?) because he has white skin and he’s an odd color. Black, but with white in his hackles. I’m intending to make some kind of frizzle mix with him, but I haven’t decided which hens to use yet.

I really want to make frizzle Polish, so I will at least use some of my Polish hens (Tolbunt, Buff Laced and WCB) and see how the colors mesh. But I’m also hoping to use some of my Easter Eggers too.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
New method of hatching chicks. Let the hens summon them. Seconds later one of the hens got up and grabbed the egg to shove under her.

I feel I need to dig out the LED candles that looks realistic and put them around a circle of diatomaceous earth, then plop the five of them around it.

VideoCapture_20230522-201934.jpg

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a tiny 10month old bantam Cubalaya/Sebright mix sitting on 4 eggs. Hatch should be between the 6th and the 8th of June. Can I change her next box now? She has been sitting on a double and want her on a single wide that is lower and effort the peeps. Am I too late to change them?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd wait because some hens protest being moved at all. I only have a few that accept it very easily,but only i moved to a new pen. Some of mine will break if moved and they can't get back to original box.

That's part of why I treasure Molly so much. I move her to broody coop or a box inside and she settles immediately. Wait about 15 minutes and I can bring her chick if I incubated them.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a tiny 10month old bantam Cubalaya/Sebright mix sitting on 4 eggs. Hatch should be between the 6th and the 8th of June. Can I change her next box now? She has been sitting on a double and want her on a single wide that is lower and effort the peeps. Am I too late to change them?

i like this question because i haven't a clue. :)