Sufficient Self's Bible Study Group

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
actions speak much more loudly than words.
I know alot of non believers that are more Christ-like than most professed Christians.

Personally, I do have a personal relationship with my Lord & Savior and I do my best to walk my Christian faith in spite of being all too human.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Farmfresh, you can send me a postcard :D

old Fashioned, I see good and bad of all denominations, faiths and lack their of. To me it's weather or not you say what you mean and mean what you say. Strangely, my beliefs match up on a lot of levels with religious folk

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Dace, I appreciate your kind words but I really cannot take any credit for any of that....God finds His own way to reach people and I was merely someone He designed for a specific purpose and time. The right time to write something for someone He loved so that they too can spread the word about His love and care for us.

And look what you are now doing!!!! I would have never thought of making up bags to give out....that is truly love and aforethought put into action. Imagine how many ripples spread out from an act like that....from your kids, their friends, the people you have given to, the people they tell.

It's mind-boggling how the Lord moves His love through this world. I only feel honored and grateful that He chose me to come to Him. Imagine my life if I hadn't finally given my will over to God....it makes me scared to contemplate it!

Morel, was that feeling you had to make a quilt for that man like an overwhelming compulsion? Did you think about it so much that you just had to do it? If so, I know just how you feel....I've had experiences like that in my life and I do feel they are directly from God. I can't wait to see that quilt! Commissioned by God...you should sew that right into the label!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Great point on the lessons that are "caught, not taught!" I truly believe actions and countenance speak more boldly than our tongues ever will when it comes to professing our faith! I have friends of all types even potheads actually :/ While I wish better for them, I can't do anything other than be a good example. They're grown...and I aint their momma!! I do not partake in their habits, or let on like it is okay with me, but they know without me ranting at them ;) and I still love them just as I love my Christian friends.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I also find that nonbelievers expect Christians to live a saintly and perfect life or they are considered hypocrites and an excuse for nonbelievers to avoid Christian beliefs and lifestyles.

I agree that one's life should show a visible change after receiving Christ as your saviour and you are definitely known by your fruits. But Christians are still human, still have a sin nature and therefore will continue to commit sins, no matter what.

The fact that we all sin is the very reason we have come to Jesus for forgiveness and for His blood atonement. We cannot, on our own, live a good enough life to deserve Heaven or to even be in the presence of the Lord.

You can pretty much tell when someone is trying to live for the Lord and that evidence is not in preachy words, the quoting of much scripture or sitting in a church three times a week. It is evidenced in their love of doing God's will.

Will I ever be perfect? One day I will. No sin will enter into the gates of Heaven. Until then, I most certainly will sin...and I will continue to be forgiven for it until I sin no more.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I don't think anyone reasonable expects perfection. I sure don't. But if you say everyone should be honest and lie your face off, or comment on other people's behavior but you beat your wife....

I believe that is well covered under "But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man." (1 Cor 2:15)

Working at print shops for so many years, I deal with a lot of churches. Most have been wonderful people. But I have seen more than my share of hypocrisy. The preacher who pleads poverty as an excuse not to pay his overdue bill driving a new car and dripping in gold, the woman who invites you to her service, but wont take "no thanks" for an answer and commences to badger you and get mad because you wont talk about your religion with her, the founder of a church that has you copy brochures that are filled with hate towards other denominations....

You get the idea.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im changing the subject.

SO has everyone read chapter one of 1 John yet?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BB, our Sunday school class just finished that book not too long ago....took forever to get through it. So....yep, I've read it! :)