Sufficient Self's Bible Study Group

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I missed church tonight too. And, I really wanted to go-we had one of our missionaries there. But, my knee is really hurting tonight, so I stayed home, and off of it. I'm planning on calling the doctor next week, and may be having my operation sooner rather than later. :/
Prayer said for ya Deb. I hope you get feeling better! :hugs

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb, sorry your knee is hurting my prayers are with you.
Wannabe free, sounds like you have a close family church it is good the car is working again.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I'll be praying for you DD!

Visitation night sounds awesome, I'd have fun with that.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Morning everyone :frow I hope everyone slept well last night! Deb, hope your knee is better!

I have a load of things to do today because yesterday was such a huge disaster :lol:

Just wanted to drop in and say hello and hope everyone has a blessed day!

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
God's blessing to everyone,
my wonderful husband gave me a beautiful new bible for our anniversary. He had noticed that I was straining to read my old bible (old eyes) so he bought me one that I could see the print more easily. Please understand that this is not a complaint for I think this was the sweetest gift he could of given me. Now here is my mind working over- time ,he gave me NIV and my old bible is the NKJV I know from bible study classes that I have attended that wording was somewhat different. I do know the history but remember little behind the King James version and what groups of scholars were involved and I know really very little about the NIV. Doe anyone know the history behind the NIV? my NIV has nothing about its orgin. Thank you for your help.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't. I finally just strayed away from KJV this year with a purchase of a large print~old eyes here too~NKJV myself.

Here's a question for you all...do you feel a certain attachment or love for your Bible? I didn't with my old Bible but this one is so pretty and so much easier to read, plus I am falling in love with the Scriptures~ I guess for the first time in my life. All that combined just seems to make me feel a warm glow every time I see or pick up my Bible....is that weird? Am I the only weirdo with that feeling? :p

I also am starting to feel bad if I haven't read out of it in a day or so and start to feel a real urge to sit quietly and read the Word.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: yes, I have attachment to my old NKJV and as I am holding this new NIV which is the softest and the most beautiful bible in my hands I keep glancing over @ my old bible and want to pickit back up even tho it is harder to see.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: The only attachment I have to my old Bible is the fact that I had it for so long and it has teeth marks on it where my favorite and best dog in the world carried it to me one day~I don't know why he did but he just came walking in from my room with my Bible in his mouth and gave it to me. Spooked me out, for sure.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bambi, don't know if this is accurate but Wiki had something on the NIV:

History
The New International Version project was started after a meeting in 1965 at Trinity Christian College in Palos Heights, Illinois, between the Christian Reformed Church, National Association of Evangelicals, and a group of international scholars.[4] The New York Bible Society (now Biblica) was selected to do the translation. The New Testament was released in 1973 and the full Bible in 1978. There are a couple of very rare 1973 editions which are signed by a few of the translating committee members which were released before the other 1973 and 1978 editions. It underwent a minor revision in 1984. A planned 1997 edition was discontinued over inclusive language.[5]A revised edition titled Today's New International Version released a New Testament in March 2002 with the complete Bible was published February 2005.

Keith Danby, president and chief executive officer of Biblica, once known as the International Bible Society, said they erred in presenting past updates, failed to convince people revisions were needed and "underestimated" readers' loyalty to the 1984 NIV.[5] A new revision was released 2011.[6][7]

Translation philosophyThe core translation group consisted of fifteen Biblical scholars. [10] The translation took ten years and involved a team of up to 100 scholars[11] from the USA, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. The range of those participating included many different denominations such as Anglicans, Assemblies of God, Baptist, Christian Reformed, Lutheran and Presbyterian.[12]

The translation is a balance between word-for-word and thought-for-thought.[13][14][8] Recent archaeological and linguistic discoveries helped in understanding traditionally difficult passages to translate. Familiar spellings of traditional translations were generally retained.[15]

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Personally, I like the KJV. It's what I grew up with, and there's a majesty to the language that you don't find in the newer translations.

That being said, I will use other versions if I'm struggling w/a passage that's a little tough to understand.