Sufficient Self's Bible Study Group

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I think it is just more accepted regionally. Even some of the schools here are Christian even though they are regular public schools. In Louisiana at the kids school there was a church right beside it that the kids could go to to bible study after school. Here in AR at their schoold they sang Christian songs at Christmas time. Unfortunately that principle is now retired and I doubt the new one would be brave enough to do that. BTW the kids are going to start Christian homeschooling next month.
Christian homeschooling is one of he best things we ever did! :thumbsup Now...if we can afford it again next year we'll be good to go :) Praying very hopefully about it!!!

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
That's because you're Jewish. When your countenance speaks for you, folks ask questions ;)
My husband has had a Chinese Buddhist friend for almost 30 years now. And when they have lunch together the friend always brings up spiritual topics. He says the Monks get mad at him when he asks questions, and they many times have no answers for his questions.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lol, I can't even say GOD in front of anyone! I'm used to having to clarify what I mean about god.

The only person I'm comfortable talking religion with is my jewish coworker.

However, if ANY christian media comes in to our store or messengers (forget the technical name) we have to hide/shoo them out faster then heat under their behinds. My boss is lesbian and hasn't had any good experiences :(

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Lol, I can't even say GOD in front of anyone! I'm used to having to clarify what I mean about god.

The only person I'm comfortable talking religion with is my jewish coworker.

However, if ANY christian media comes in to our store or messengers (forget the technical name) we have to hide/shoo them out faster then heat under their behinds. My boss is lesbian and hasn't had any good experiences :(
Somebody needs to 'splain to her that God doesn't have issue with individuals, but lifestyles. Jesus loves everybody ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's really sad! :( I guess all the censorship hasn't reached small towns like the one I live near. They can do just about anything they want in the schools and the community. I don't really regard WV as truly southern but we mostly hold true to the Christian faith here and don't have any problem expressing it.

When my boys were in school I requested alternate materials when they taught about evolution and that request was honored. My boys didn't have to sit and listen to or take tests on evolution and no one made a fuss about that at all. It's nice to still have that level of freedom of religion that so many places have lost.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wanna: you are the first person to acknowledge that he has issues with lifestyles, not people. That's all ill continue with that here, as I don't want to start a debate or discussion on truly touchy subjects.

Bee: really?? We learned evolution, no question asked or hesitation. Its a very common given here to learn evolution. We had a very christian physics teacher whpo taught evolution, but didn't believe in it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Our schools don't require evolution either that I am aware of :hu IF they do, it is taught alongside Creationism. I know they teach Creationism.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep...no touchy subjects! :D

They are required to teach evolution here as well, Ms Pony. But they are also required to provide alternate material if someone's religion is involved. My boys had already learned about the theory of evolution and no longer needed to keep having it drilled into their heads. It's rather offensive to us to have a scientific theory taught as fact and Creationism not taught at all.

So...I guess that us "southern" folks like to stand up and be noticed when it comes to our faith. ;) Too many people do not and they lose their rights to express their faith.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
So, has any one here started reading 1 John yet?