Sufficient Self's Bible Study Group

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Excellent, excellent discussion! I think this proves that God manifests his self to us in different ways. And that the principle of our religion is

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me.
Thanks for posting the verse morel.

jambunny

Power Conserver
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Oh, I don't pressure him....

I'd like to find a way to make him happier about his spirituality though.
I bugged my husband for years. Tears. Cajoling, etc. Finally I just said God, he is your problem and one day my minister and a friend took him shooting and to a function. He ended up saved and is the one who insists we get to church pretty much every Sunday. Just keep working on your faith and let God handle the rest. My dh says that my example was a big factor in his conversion.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We need to live the example for an unbelieving spouse, and pray for them, but like others have said no amount of forcing will change someone's beliefs. They have free will just like we do.

As for "helping" a hubby be a leader, sometimes we can do a little bit. ;) Most guys are a MR FIX IT. I have noticed some real motivation happen if I bring my hubby a problem or spiritual question that I need an answer for. :p Often he will get in much deeper that he would have on his own to help me FIX my problem. :D

I am one of the lucky ones. My hubby is a very strong, quiet believer. After our first date, (I was 15 (!!) and he had just turned 18) he GRILLED me about my religious beliefs. I was a fairly new Christian at the time and his questions really frightened me. I was afraid to stand up for my beliefs, but also afraid not to.

When he finally decided that I was truly a believer and not just goofing around he said, "I am glad you are a Christian. I really like you and I would not have asked you out again if you weren't." I could have hit the floor. :th I have always felt that my hubby was a gift from God to me.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll say, Farm! Pretty strong faith for an 18 year old man! I can only hope that my boys use this screening technique but I may just be dreaming on that one..... :/

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That is why he was a keeper! :D

Our GEEK son is a pretty deep guy as well. I keep praying for a good Christian woman to fill his life with love.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
One son has one, one son has not, one son has none. Sounds sorta like this little piggy, huh? :lol:

I keep praying that the sons who do not have Christian girls will find them....but they are certainly a rarity in this area.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
FF I especially liked your comments about how to 'help' your husband to be the leader....I guess that is where I need more help.

I am not sure that he realizes that he is to be the leader.....I think he may know but I guess we have never really discussed it. :hu how lame is that?

I bought the book The Power of a Praying Wife and it is wonderful! It has already helped me! In the intro to the book it talks about how we as women need to pray over our husbands in the same selfless way that we would pray over our children. Children are easy because we naturally always want what is best for them. With husbands, disagreements, hurt feelings and misunderstandings can harden our hearts which leads us to pray things like ' please change him!'. The author explains that for our prayers to be effective we need to confess this hardness in our hearts and ask God to change us first so that we may be ....better wives, better meet our husbands needs, understand how we impact our husbands etc......

I needed to talk to Hubby about our potential trip to Haiti last night and I knew that it was going to become a conflict. I prayed first for God to help me to phrase what I needed to say in a way that would not cause conflict, that I would have patience and tact......and guess what? I did and it went well although it does not look like we are going. Had I not prayed about it first and got my heart and my head in the right place, it would have gotten ugly. I think it is important that we go, but he is concerned about how much it will cost, and he is only willing to go if he does not have to pay, if we earn the money to go.

He is right of course, it is a lot of money for 5 of us to go. We did have a huge collapse a few years ago and have only been back on our feet since Sept. He just wants to save money not spend it. Although I do feel that this is an investment in our children, if we are not in agreement then I guess it is not Gods plan for us.

Anyway, any more suggestions on how to descretely let your Hubby know that he is the head our spiritual life?

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
Anyway, any more suggestionson how to descretely let your Hubby know that he is the head our spiritual life?
One way is to ask him questions or his opinion on a passage of Scripture you are reading. Then for sure... DO NOT get into a debate if you don't agreee with his answer.

Make sure you discuss the discipline of the children with him when he is not there. And do not countermandate his instructions, or disagree with him in front of the children on his decisions.

Those are two very big problems I see in many families.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
With husbands, disagreements, hurt feelings and misunderstandings can harden our hearts which leads us to pray things like ' please change him!'. The author explains that for our prayers to be effective we need to confess this hardness in our hearts and ask God to change us first so that we may be ....better wives, better meet our husbands needs, understand how we impact our husbands etc......
Sounds very reasonable.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
This one really hits home with me because I DO pray that he would change sometimes. Changing oneself is much harder. I'll have to work on this one!

I'm sure that this advice applies directly to me however, thank you for sharing that perspective.

Latest posts