Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wrote a devotional called "Chicken Scratch". I'd be happy to post one or two

Is someone the mod for this thread?

GaFarmGirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Can I post a prayer request please? My husband has a job interview this Thursday at 10:15. It would mean an extra $10,000 per year for our family. I am asking if you will pray that if it is God's will that he will get this job. Thank you!!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
GaFarmGirl said:
Can I post a prayer request please? My husband has a job interview this Thursday at 10:15. It would mean an extra $10,000 per year for our family. I am asking if you will pray that if it is God's will that he will get this job. Thank you!!
Yes prayer requests are more than welcome on this thread!

Beanie, not a really a mod per say but go ahead and post it!

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Chicken Scratch

One of the funniest things to watch is a group of hens scratching around the yard. It's a comical scratch, peck and step routine. Little chicken feet moving to the beat of an

imaginary Rumba tune while their beaks poke at the ground hoping for a bug or seed or worm. They go about their day, doing this dance for hours, hunting and pecking, barely

scraping the surface of the ground.. Even if their scratching and pecking doesn't bring up a tasty morsel, they get some grains of sand or dirt grit that they swallow. The reason

they need that gritty sand is because they swallow hard grains and bugs whole. The grit goes to their gizzard where it aids in the digestion of food. Sounds yummy, huh? The

only downside to the chicken scratch is that it isn't enough to feed them. The keeper of the chickens still has to provide ample food for them every day.

Some people approach reading the Bible the same way a chicken moves around the yard. They aimlessly wander through it hunting and pecking at a few little morsels. They

barely scratch the surface of the nitty gritty. They swallow a few verses whole and hope it digests in their spirit. The downside to that is that it won't really feed them. Our

Keeper has given us ample food to nourish and sustain us. All we have to do is take a few minutes to sit down and eat. Our Heavenly Father, our Keeper, has given us not only

tasty little morsels but deeply satisfying meals of truth in His word.

So ladies take your time when reading the Word. Look up the foot notes, read it in another version, find it in the original Greek or Hebrew, use a study Bible and dissect it for a

truly satisfying meal. I guarantee it'll be far better than any chicken scratch.

*FYI Did you know that the only mention of chickens, in the Bible, was by Jesus, himself!

Mt 23:37- "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, that killeth the prophets, and stoneth them that are sent unto her! how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!"

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
GaFarmGirl said:
Prayed and praying.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:celebrate :weee :ya :clap :weee :love :frow

Amen and Hallelujah! It's back!!!!! :weee

Maybe we could just use this thread as a testimony, prayer and favorite verses thread?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:thumbsup Sounds like a GREAT idea to me.

The whole world needs to see that OUR GOD is alive and working miracles every single day!

This thread would be a good place to raise up together and praise HIM! :bow :celebrate

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I like'd that beanie very neat and we as homesteaders can apply it to ourselves. Thanks!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'll start with a testimony. Okay, so basically my pastor pushed me into going on this retreat last weekend, and so I went..really had no choice :lol: I thoroughly enjoyed it, got to know some ladies better, and got to know a few new folks. I thought I would be the only smoker there, and would feel out of place, but it turned out one of the new girls, whose family has been trying to get her back into church for a while, was a smoker too. She is also very shy, and doesn't do well in crowds. We hit it off, I am a big mouth :lol: and introduced her to practically everyone there, including the ones I had just met myself. All in all she wound up having a terrific time, and the times we would go out to smoke were peaceful, and we got to discuss how God works in our everyday lives. we became fairly close over the two days we were away, and then........she came to church last Sunday :celebrate Then she came again Sunday night :D AND she's coming again tonight as far as I know :woot

While on the trip, there was a lady from another church who had an allergic reaction while there. She is not prone to them, has no clue what caused this reaction, nor had any meds there. So I got to minister to her needs as well, and help her stay calm through the episode, which was pretty ugly. Her throat, lips and hands were very swollen, as was her tongue for a while. We(myself and a couple other ladies) stayed up till 1 a.m. with her, pumped her full of Benadryl, and had my Epi pen on standby, and prayed for/with her. Small world, I come to find out she goes to church with my eldest, and loves my kid too :D So we both got a blessing out of meeting each other.

Now, the title of the retreat was "Too Blessed to be Stressed" and we learned all these ways to relax, even in the midst of chaos. Yesterday my new neighbor friend came down, COMPLETELY stressed out, and rightfully so. She has a father who lives with her due to having cancer and she carts him around to all his cancer treatments all day most days, she also has her deceased sisters teen who she has taken on raising, and her own twin 3 year olds who are into EVERYTHING. She had had it yesterday, and needed a break, so she came down here to sit and chat. What was going to be a short visit(her words) turned into 3 hours, and me spilling everything I learned at the retreat to her on how to relax, and coaching her on how to deal with her dad(who was abusive and she harbors ill feelings toward) and maintain some sanity. Through my own issues with my male parent, I have learned how to block his meanness and cut him off from hurting me anymore, so was able to give a few pointers on that. I was also able to witness to her, and remind her to put God first. She used to be in church, but has ceased going, and now has that hunger to get back to the peace and calm of the arms of the Lord. I am trying to help her with all the situations she is dealing with, to see where God has been there all along, and to let Him take control, so she can unburden herself and let Him work more in her life. She is very receptive, and may be gong back to church with me tonight :) She went last Wednesday. Sundays, she goes to sit with her elderly family member, so can't attend. I am praying for her, and from the outside looking in, I can tell she is gaining ground on the way her life is going. Sometimes we can't see it ourselves because of the heap of "stuff" piled on our plates. But I can see where God is working in her life, and I can point it out to her, and she recognizes the blessings, and is getting a bit more relaxed now to where she can take care of her business without going bald :lol: She is a great friend, and such a sweet loving person. I hope she gets back in church and reaps the rewards of walking with God. :)

Mind you folks, as you read this, where I say "I" means "we", meaning "Him" through me, because I KNOW my limtations, and only want to be obedient to the master. I am very well aware that He is putting the words in my mouth for those being ministered to, and HE is helping them. I don't have sense enough to do anything like this myself...just sayin. I don't want any confusion on to whom any credit belongs. I'm just a willing vessel, and enjoying being used to help others. It blesses me in the process. God is wonderful!!! It is amazing to me, how all of the negative things in my own life, have reasons for being there. Smoking, abused past home life, and these annoying allergies...have paved the way for service to others, all in the same week lol! I am tearing up just thinking about how the negative things in life, if you look closely, are blessings too, because they allow you to be able to relate to so many hurting people who need God. The next time you feel bad about something in your life...just wait, God can use it. Wait on the Lord.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that, Beanie. It is such a good reminder. I love my study Bible that provides notes about many verses. It really helps make me think more deeply about what is being said.