SufficientSelf.com Forum Ideas, Feedback, Suggestions

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
We've got a lot of stuff to do so let's get posting!

First we need to decide on topics and categories, so let the brainstorming BEGIN!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Suggested Topics:

Dairy Diaries: Cheesemaking, yogurt, milking issues, etc.
HomeCookin': Recipes, Canning, Preserving, etc.
Thread Heads: Quilting, knitting, Spinning, etc.
Natural Remedies: Herbal Remedies, Diets, home vetting, etc.
Livestock (Not sure if you would have room for all the different categories!)
Farming and the Government: NAIS updates and info, USDA regulations, Pros and Cons, etc.
Green Building and Energy Solutions: Construction and plans for eco/energy friendly dwellings, off grid energy solutions, etc.
Me and My Homestead/Farm: Everyday life, finances, challenges of living on a homestead, gardening, etc.
Frugal Fun: Ways of saving money, making do, recycling trash to treasure,
etc.
Nifty Notions: Homemade soaps, detergents, baby wipes, etc.
From the Farm to the Freezer: Processing livestock, deer, poultry, etc.

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm so glad to see this forum. I can't wait 'till the 13,000 BYC members hop on over here and this place is jumping. There are so many folks with such great ideas for sustainable living, self-sufficiency, etc., I can only imagine what a wonderful resource this site is going to be!

I love Beekissed's suggestions.

Not sure I really have much to add at the moment (maybe after a good night's sleep; it's past my bed time! :lol:). Though I personally would like to have a Frugal Living-type sub forum. And of course a Buy/Sell/Trade section is always a good idea! Maybe sub-forum for preserving and storing foods? And, even though I'm a vegetarian, I think a sub-forum for home butchering and/or hunting/fishing is a very good idea for a self-sufficiency forum. ;) Perhaps a more specific family section, in addition to the general chat/social sub-forum, maybe for homeschoolers? Also, something for do-it-yourself building projects....outbuildings, fencing, solar ovens, the works!!

I love "Dairy Diaries"!! :lol: And "Thread Heads"!! Where did you come up with this stuff? I'm so, well, not creative!

Colored Egg Farmer

Way Too Many Chickens
Reaction score
I really woudl like the post area to be outlined when you click to post on a topic

Recycle Recycle Recycle
sun Power :cool: Benifits of solar,
Windy Power Benifits of wind,
Fix that house Better ways to fix your house to be more energy efficient

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BrookValley, how bout Natural Remedies??? :) Also added/combined a topic to make for your frugal living topics! This is sooooooo fun!!! :cool:

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
BrookValley, how bout Natural Remedies??? :) Also added/combined a topic to make for your frugal living topics! This is sooooooo fun!!! :cool:
Sweet! I hope you didn't mind my butting in there. :D I see that about the Frugal topics! I love it! I think recycling/reusing fits well in there?

I also see you have canning/preserving in the cooking section. That's a good idea!

This IS fun. I think this could be a nifty little site!! (no pun intended!! :lol:)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think they should call it SoSufficientSelf, so we could call it SSS!!! :bun So much fun, all this alliteration.... :p