SufficientSelf New Home! Conversion Info FAQ's

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the new home of SufficientSelf.com!

Long story short: After 2 years of forum software research, 6 months of software evaluation, & 1 month of neck-deep conversion testing, we're on a brand new platform!!

NOTE: If you have questions, problems, or notice a bug PLEASE start a new topic in this section with a VERY detailed subject/title and add as much information about your question / issue as possible! This will help us make sure that questions are all answered vs. all of them being jumbled into one thread!

When you start a new topic about a potential problem, bug, issue, make sure you do the following:
  1. Create a new topic here: http://www.sufficientself.com/forums/sufficient-self-news-information-feedback.4/create-thread
  2. Be VERY detailed in your topic title
  3. Tell us which browser and version you are using (e.g., Firefox 23, Internet Explorer 8.0, etc.)
  4. Try doing some basic troubleshooting including: clearing your browser cache / history of files (you'd be surprised how often this fixes problems) and also try a different browser, ESPECIALLY Firefox or Chrome. Both are free and trying them helps us to isolate if the problem is because of the browser, your computer, your account, or the software.

Here are some of the things you'll want to check out:
  1. New Phrasing: On this system, "Posts" are referred to as "Messages". "Private Messages" are now called "Conversations". It takes a bit to get used to, but it makes sense with the way this software operates.
  2. Likes: You can "Like" other people's posts! They get notified when you like what they posted and it adds to their reputation.
  3. Trophies: A trophy is a goal for things like # of posts, an anniversary as a member, number of likes, etc. You can see a list of them here: http://www.sufficientself.com/help/trophies
  4. @mention: This will alert them that they were mentioned in a post. For example: @Nifty , etc.
  5. Watch Forums: You can subscribe to or "watch" forum sections.
  6. Draft Auto-Save: While you type, your post is automatically saved every 60 seconds. If you accidentally close the tab / window or even turn off your PC, when you come back to the thread your draft copy will be there waiting for you!
  7. Mobile Browsing: The skin / theme on this new site is "responsive"... which means no matter what size screen you're on, the page will automatically format itself to fit nicely on your device! Go open SS on your phone or tablet and give it a try!
  8. Image Uploads: Fantastically easier and fun ways to load pics into your posts. See more details in this thread.
  9. More & Bigger Images: You can now upload bigger pictures and as many as you want! No more image upload limitations!

Last edited:

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
FAQ's:
  1. What was converted / kept from the old site? All usernames, passwords, private messages, threads, and posts were converted over! Articles & pictures still remain on the old system, see below for more details.
  2. Where are all my old pictures / images? See more info here: http://www.sufficientself.com/threads/images-pictures-on-old-system-how-to-access.13664/
  3. How do I login / reset my password?
To login to the community, click the "Log in or Sign up" button at the top right of the screen.

If you can't remember your password, click the "Forgot your passsword?" link.

See here:
upload_2013-11-8_1-57-24-png.8

If you still can't login, contact us using the form below:
http://www.sufficientself.com/misc/contact

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Finding New Posts:
Two ways to find new posts, first is at the very top menu "Recent Posts"
upload_2013-11-7_22-25-54-png.5

Second is the Recent tab to the right of every page:
upload_2013-11-7_22-26-31-png.6

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
How to edit your user preferences:
  1. Hover over your username at the top-right of the page
  2. Click one of the options, for example: "Preferences"
upload_2013-11-7_22-30-34-png.7

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
How to link to a specific quote a post or link to a specific post:

The post number to the bottom right of each post will let you link to that specific post.
The "Reply" link will quote the post in your reply.

upload_2013-11-8_10-27-43-png.18

Reuse-it

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have not been in here for a long time. You have spiffed up the place. My new years resolution is to gather all the things that are sitting around waiting to be put to good use -and use them. This site and TheEasyGarden are a couple of those things.
This makes it so much easier.
Thanks gang.:thumbsup

oooh... I will not survive without spell check. Where is it? (just pretend everything I wrote is spell correctly until I find it.)

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
That's a great resolution!

Regarding spell-check: These days most web-browsers have built in spell-check, so the interweb applications are abandoning having their own installed. With that said, if there is enough interest, we'll evaluate adding it.