SufficientSelf's Bible Study & Devotional 2.0

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I’m a little late to the game as usual, but I’m so glad to see this little “revival” 😍 Welcome back James! Hi everyone!!!

I’ve read most of the comments here, and one thing that struck me was the fact that Jesus loved SO MUCH....he loved Judas, knowing full well he was a sell out that would begin the snowball that was his physical demise on this earth. He loved him even though Judas didn’t truly love him. How much more does he love the ones who do love him?

I struggle every second of every minute of every hour of every day....and I’m a doofus...but he still loves me 😂 It’s unfathomable.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
“Sanctity of Life”

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.” Genesis 1:27

Sanctity means sacred, or a connection to the divine. Life is sacred. The lives of unborn babies are sacred. The lives of the sick, and diseased is sacred. The life of the rich and the poor is sacred. The lives of those who look different than you, those who talk different than you, and think different than you are sacred. Why? Because man is the image bearer of God. We are the crown of creation. We are endowed with a soul that came from God. That is something special, and all lives should be treated as sacred. Regardless of your politics, step aside and see the divine truth that all of mankind is created in the image of God endowed with attributes that come from heaven. We love because He loves us. We are creative because He is the creator. My beloved, we are made in the image of God and so is everyone else from the moment of conception to the final breath of life. Ponder on that today.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
“Nothing Happened”

“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3

One of the greatest barriers to evangelism, and discipleship is that throughout the country (and the world) are people who profess a belief in God, but do not know Him. They might go to church a few times a year. They’ll pray for you on Facebook. They’re familiar with God and some form of religiosity. However, their hearts are far from Him. In their pride and vanity, they don’t dwell on the words of the Almighty. There is no praise on their lips, or joy in their hearts. They profess Him, but are far from him. Why does this happen? The only thing I can say is because nothing happened. The Bible is clear. You must be born again. To ever be freed from sin and shame, you must be born again. To go to heaven, you must be born again. To live a holy life, you must be born again. To experience lasting and complete forgiveness, you must be born again. To be pleasing and acceptable to God, you must be born again. When we are born again, we reject the old life of sin. We reject the curse that is brought down upon us. We look to the one who hung on the tree, and gave his life for you and me. We find hope in the fact that there is an empty tomb, and an occupied throne in heaven. If that is not where your hope is tonight then nothing happened. It is my earnest prayer, in these uncertain days, that men and women would reject the half-hearted, shallow belief and religiosity of the world and be born again by the spirit of God. I believe that the spirit is moving, and that we, in response, should draw nigh unto him. May the Lord bless you and keep you.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
“He’s in Charge”

“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.” Isaiah 9:6-7

Division. Corruption. Scandal. Lies. We have heard about it on the news. We have seen it in actions from politicians in both parties. Throughout history, empires have fallen. Great conquerors have been brought to their knees. The time of plenty turned into the time of poverty. Division has destroyed families. We may have even been the ones who have personally experienced the results from it. However, regardless of the situations of history, the present or future in our human government, there is a kingdom that has been established in perpetuity. A kingdom that can’t be brought down. A kingdom that feels no threat or fear.A kingdom of peace and prosperity. A kingdom ruled by a perfect man. A kingdom ruled by perfect God. My beloved, look not to the depravity of this world, but look to the delight of the world to come. Today, Jesus is reigning in heaven on the right hand of God. A priest forever after the order of Melchizedek. The son of David. The root of David. The promise of Abraham. That’s the reality that we live in. It doesn’t matter who occupies the White House, or what party controls the legislature. A righteous king reigns over the entire world, and one day we will reign with him. The government is fair and just. The economy is plentiful. The citizens are redeemed and born of above. That is the reality of his reign right now, but one day a new heaven and a new earth will replace the old and that sounds like a place I want to be.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
“God Can”

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:7-8

I am truly in awe of God. I am amazed by the creation. I am humbled by his great love that he has bestowed on us. I am forever indebted for the plan of salvation. He created this world in six days. He hung the moon and stars. He spoke everything that exists into existence using only his voice. He made man and woman. He imparted the breath of life into this house of clay. I can’t do any of these things, but God can. As the song says, I can’t make the birds sing or flowers bloom when it turns spring, but God can. God can literally do anything. Without him, I can do nothing. The reason for this is very simple: he is God and there is none other. By his very nature, he is not bound by time, flesh or blood. He doesn’t feel the sting of age. He is not hindered by weakness. He can’t be deceived. You’ll find no flaw in him-- he is perfect. Everything about him is perfect.His ways are above ours. His thoughts are above ours. This morning, I hope that you find yourself immersed in the glory and beauty of God. We need to see and understand him in fullness. When I am weak, poor and pitiful--- God Can!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
“The Good Shepherd”

“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.” Psalm 23

Jesus is the Good Shepherd. We are the sheep of his pasture. We are needy. We are helpless at times. And, unless, someone stronger than us cares for us we will surely perish. A sheep wouldn’t last very long without the tender care of the farmer or shepherd. We would surely be destroyed without the watchful eye of the Good Shepherd.

The Good Shepherd loves his flock so much that he gave his life for the sheep. Why? It was the glorious plan of God to redeem mankind and to save a multitude for eternity. Our Shepherd loved us so much that he died for us. I have been saved 10 years, and I have not gotten over the fact that he actually died for me. What wondrous love he has for us. Jesus has secured a plan of salvation purchased with his own blood. Why? For the Glory of God.

When I am weak, he is mighty. When I am proud and puffed up, he is humble and kind. When I am tempted by sin, he is able to deliver. When I am unsure, he is steadfast. When I am unlovable, he is loving. When I am in need, he has abundance. When I am down trodden, he picks me up. I am a sheep, and he is the Good Shepherd.

We serve a wonderful, merciful, and loving savior. He is preparing a place better than this world for his children. He is restoring our broken, fallen nature. He is leading us on the only path of righteousness. He goes before us and fights the battle. He is with us in the bad times. He is with us in the good times. When death’s chilly hand is on us, the warmth of his embrace will be even sweeter. We have been blessed in so many ways. We are drinking from our saucers because the cup is overflown. We may experience trails and trouble in this life, but a brighter world than this is awaiting those who are in the care of the Good Shepherd.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
“Signs of a False Teacher”

“For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.”

2nd Timothy 4:3-4

#1- False teachers will divorce solid, Biblical truth from their preaching, and teaching. They will not revere the Word of God as authority. False will teachers will have a relative worldview. They will use phrases like “my truth” or “your truth”. They’ll never give you a Biblical perspective on an issue, since to them, it is all relative anyway. (2nd Timothy 4:3-4)

#2- False teachers will not consent to godliness. They will be proud, ask foolish questions and will provoke strife and envy. A false teacher will not hold to the Biblical standard of love, purity, and holiness. (1st Timothy 6:3-4)

#3- False teachers will be destitute in truth. They’ll preach love, but they won’t preach the truth in love. They will preach everything, but truth. They’ll use their platform to spread heresy. They won’t preach about judgment, sin, personal holiness, mercy, love, and grace. They’ll preach messages about acceptance, and probably some feel good messages. That way you won’t be uncomfortable listening to their preaching. In doing so, they’ll slowly harden your heart and lull you to sleep. (1st. Timothy 6:5a)

#4- False teachers will elevate gain over godliness. They’ll preach wealth and prosperity. They will live lives of indulgence and indifference to their sin. The true teacher and preacher will not be perfect, but his sin will cause him to mourn for Christ’s sake. (1st Timothy 6:5b)

#5- False teachers will deny the purchase that was made in blood at Calvary. They’ll deny the blood of Christ or they just won’t mention it in fear of offending people. They’ll minimize your lost condition to increase numbers. They’ll preach you are fine just the way you are. They won’t mention sin. (2nd Peter 2:1)

#6. False teachers will come to you in all appearances to be a gentle lamb. However, they will inwardly be ferocious wolves. In time, you’ll know them by their fruit. Do they love the truth of scripture? Do they love their neighbors? Do they love the saints of God? Do they, above all things, love the Lord Jesus Christ? (Matthew 7:15-17)

Do you surround yourself with strong Bible teachers and preachers?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
II Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
“By Love”

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.” John 13:34-35

On this same night, many years ago, after the Last Supper had been instituted and the disciples had their feet washed by Jesus this blessed commandment was given to them. A commandment of love toward one another. Now, keep in mind that this was in the very hour that Judas Iscariot (one Jesus loved) betrayed Jesus to the Pharisees. Love of the brethren is the evidence of where our faith has been placed. Love toward our brothers and sisters in Christ is part of the proof of our belief. All men shall know that we belong to Jesus by our love that we share. In this time of separation and isolation, our fondness and love toward one another should multiply and grow stronger. What would you give in this time to be able to be to gather with your brothers and sisters in Christ? Has this time of separation increased your desire to be together to sing, pray, shout, and hear God’s word? I am longing for the day to be together again and share God’s love with his people.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well spoken. I have had the opportunity to be with some of my church family this week, as well as a neighbor who speaks of the increased frequency of the birth pangs. Then, when I went to pick up hatching duck eggs today, The young lady who I was blessed to spend half an hour with (I showed her how to candle her eggs) shared her faith with me. Oh such joy to meet an other sister. These days are but a moment in comparison to eternity. I pray that Jesus will come to remove us before the greater persecution of the church comes to pass.
The time of "Jacob's Trouble" is close and as Job said "my redemption drawers nigh."

Latest posts