SufficientSelf's Chicken Thread!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sure will! I'd put it somewhere warmer until you get your ferment cultured well and then move it into the cooler place. Should do just fine at those temps.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok, I have another question. We have been having rodent problems this year and I don't want anything out that they can get into. I can't wait for the kittens to get big enough and start helping the GSD hunt them.

What if I drilled a hole through a gamma lid and put in a fermentation lock. Would that work? Or does it need access to the air? I can leave the lid cracked open when the dogs are awake, but would prefer to have stuff closed after I head off to bed. I know it will need some air access to start the culture, I've done sourdough.

I use Bragg vinegar for me and the chicken water I could add. I give the chickens kefir occasionally and can drain whey off to add if that would help it get started, too.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The ACV or kefir can start your culture..so it doesn't really need to draw spores from the air. The only reason we let it breathe a bit is to let off the excess gases. I don't know what kind of lock you are referring to but if it lets off the gas but keeps the bucket secure from dogs, it sounds good to me.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fermentation lock is used in wine or beer to keep out spores and outside air but let the gasses out.
They look like this
3airlocks.jpg

I've played around with making cider before using them. I'd just drill a hole through the lid and put in the air lock.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
That's not my blog... :D She features some of my content but that blog belongs to a lady from over on BYC that started it and built it in less than 2 wks time, got 2 sponsors and over $160 in giveaways during that short time. She's great!

I only WISH I could accomplish the work she has done...would take me forever! :p She is a writer/journalist that took an interest in natural chicken keeping and decided to start compiling some info on it for a blog site because the threads on BYC are so big.

My fermentation methods are a little more simple than the one described on the blog site so the one described and pictured there is her own method. STILL good info and fermentation of the feeds has become a byword over on BYC now...and all that happened since March of this year. Folks are finding out quickly how amazing it is for flock health, egg production, feathering, conditioning and savings on feed costs.
Oops!! And I just did a post elsewhere saying it was your blog! :D
It is great information!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So everyone got new bedding today. I just have to toss the straw out in the runs and they spread it out for me. Fresh fir shavings in the big coop, and the silkies got fresh pine pellets since they think shavings will kill them. Straw for the muddy run and pine for the dry areas.

Came back in to relax for a few minutes and I hear what kind of sounded like a coyote howling. I go open the back door and it's the brahma cockerel crowing. He's only been crowing a few weeks and is finally starting to sound like a living chicken instead of a dying one. His voice is so deep compared to the three other roosters, it just doesn't sound like a chicken to me. He does sound like he's trying to say cock-a-doodle-do. All the other roosters I've had just had their distinctive crows. None have sounded like this, though. It must be the octave of his voice.

6.5 months old. He's a very good boy. Can walk right up to him and pick him up normally. No aggression towards anyone. Get's beat up by hens a quarter his size, and chased by the 8.5 month old cockerel who is half his size (that's a stay away from MY girls thing). This batch of hatchery birds makes me want to go out and find some good heritage light brahmas in the spring. It's to cold for chicks right now and I keep telling the broody silkie that.

IMG_1251.jpg

IW

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have 21 birds (one rooster) and feed layer pellets as the main feed then mix scraps along with occasional dried crushed egg shells that I cook in the microwave for a short time to kill any possible bacteria. I've been raising chickens on and off most of my life and settled on the heavy weights for their calmer behavior. My rooster is a Partridge Cocken and so are a few of my hens. I also have a Black Giant, several Light Brahmas, and Colombian Wyandotts. It makes for a colorful bunch:D I have more eggs than I can use, give away or occasionally treat the dogs to. They are now 3yrs. old and I collected 9 eggs this morning:) My rooster is very gentle and I never have to use a trash can lid to protect myself as I have with several roosters in the past...LOL

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My silkie X EE rooster just bought himself a one way ticket to a stew pot. He beat up the brahma cockerel and tore up his earlobes pretty bad.

Poor boy didn't want me to touch them to clean them, had to bring him some bread and feed him bites until he relaxed. Has a little chunk torn and sticking off the side. After it get's dark, I'm going to try and see if I can tape it into place. I don't really want to stitch it in case he scratches. He's trying so hard to be a big boy. When I put him down outside and gave him his last bite of bread, he called for his girls over and gave it away.

That will leave the brahma and ameraucana in with the girls. They grew up together and get along quite well. Both have always been friendly and non aggressive.