SufficientSelf's Chicken Thread!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
YW! In this area, a started hen will cost anywhere from $5 to $10 each of the more common breeds such as RIR, NH, WL, BA, etc. The harder to get/find breeds will cost anywhere from $10-$15 per hen.

Here's a tip for those wanting to be frugal, SS and just want food production~a regular ol' RIR or BA hen will outlay and be hardier than any fancy, hard to find, unusually pretty to look upon bird, so mind your money and leave the weird, small, hairy and unusual breeds to the rich folk who want pets. If you are going to feed an animal for the next 5 years, might as well be one that earns the feed by producing well, staying healthy and fulfilling her purpose in life.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Saw this on Facebook today:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...219969079.26619.101327359931532&type=1&ref=nf

Hope that link works... if not, here are the details:
Manna Pro Poultry
If you have chickens, you need egg cartons! It only takes three proofs of purchase from Manna Pro poultry products and you can mail them in for not one, not two, not even three or four, but TEN egg cartons! Perfect for selling or giving your eggs away or to keep for yourself!

(the link works for me, can someone else please verify that?)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Thought I'd share a funny story here. For those who don't know...I went in with pinkfox and ordered some duckies a week or so ago. Then I had chicks hatch about 5 days later. Well since the ducklings weren't being too messy yet we put them in the same brooder which lasted precisely until yesterday :p The ducks were slinging too much water and going through too much slopping it out and getting the chicks wet. So, we took the chicks out and seperated them into their own brooder. They were NOT happy! They were screaming bloody murder! I couldn't figure out what was wrong with them, they had water, had food, and some were meandering over to it, so I figured they'd all find it eventually and calm down. Oh but NO! They screamed like they were dying for nearly two hours until I just couldn't handle it anymore. Still wasn't sure what was wrong with them, but thought maybe it was the missing ducks :hu So we put one of the ducklings into the new clean chicks brooder....instantly quiet. Everybody shut their beaks and promptly snuggled down for some sleep. :lol: I have never seen chicks get that upset over leaving ducklings behind. The only thing I can figure is they think they're their mommas :lol: The chicks are content as long as a duck is present. If we take the duck out, the screaming commences. Leave the duck in, everybody is fine :hu I guess we'll have to do a "duck sitter" rotation until all these young ones can go outside. Farming is crazy sometimes ;) Anyone else ever have a similar experience? It's kind of weird.

laughing dog

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
my chicks got attached to my half bobcat tomcat. u can guess how thrilled he was, but actually he seemed to enjoy "brooding" them as they attracted all sorts of preds when had them out at families. he loved to fight anything and found that wasnt allowed to eat chicks, so then he would lay out and just watch them like a sheep dog, and tear the a** out of an coon or dog even that tried to even get close enough to run down and maul. theyd scream their heads off if i tried to put them back in brooder when was not going to be around to watch or it got to cold or late, and theyd eat at what ever he had).

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Neat stories! I have a batch of ducks, and a batch of chicks going into lock down Monday evening. :D

laughing dog

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
im eager to try a pair of baby ducks, and more chicks, but current situation, probly just try to hold onto some of my doves/pigeons.

Latest posts