Sugar free options?

Sylvia H

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Try growing some stevia. It's wonderful and no artificial anything.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you want to sweeten your spaghetti sauce just a little, add grated carrots at the start of cooking. They add a nice, natural sweetness and makes it even healthier too!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
carrots were used as a sweetener during the Middle Ages, when honey was scarce and sugar was unheard of. They just cooked the carrots down to a paste and used in baking.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very interesting about the carrots. I can see where that would be so, since they are so easy to store.
I just learned also that carrots get sweeter the longer they are stored and they loose the carrot taste, so older carrots would be really good for sweetening things.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wonder how they'd taste in my coffee? :hide

kemps

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I too was gonna recommend growing stevia. Not only is a sweatner you can grow yourself but it's also way sweater than sugar meaning you need less and it's perfect for diabetics or even those on low carb diets. :ep I actually plan on growing some myself as I like the idea of growing as much as I can myself. I can't start it now though as I will be moving in a month or so! :(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Stevia grows like a weed! We have some in two large pots by the front door and we had to cut it back several times during the summer. I tossed the leaves into the dehydrator and they are being stored in a canning jar until I can get around to making the extract.

Latest posts