Sugar free options?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive!

I only tried it once and I forgot the part about heating it up to (edited to add - SIMMER ONLY) do not boil.

Homemade Stevia Extract
natural-tincture-remedy-recipe.jpg

Print
Prep time
5 mins
Total time
5 mins
Author: Katie Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Tincture
Ingredients
  • 1- Quart or pint glass jar with lid (both boiled to sterilize)
  • fresh or dried stevia leaf
  • enough vodka, rum or everclear to fill the jar (at least half of the total size of the jar)
  • a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer
  • small sauce pan
Instructions
  1. Put the fresh or dried stevia leaf in the jar, filling it ⅔ full.
  2. Pour vodka/rum/everclear over the leaves to fill the jar and put the lid on tightly.
  3. Put in a place where you will see it and leave for 36 hours, shaking occasionally. (I put on the counter and shake every time I'm cooking) Leaving it for longer than this seems to make it bitter.
  4. Strain the liquid into the small sauce pan (it will be greenish-brown)
  5. Turn heat on low and bring to a simmer. Important: do not boil! It will ruin the taste!!!
  6. Simmer for about ½ an hour, stirring constantly and making sure not to boil. It will thicken. When it gets to your desired thickness, remove from heat.
  7. Store in small jar in the fridge for up to 3 months.

Last edited:

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gonna try that.

Just one addition. I've had friends that have followed my recipeies that require alcohol and low heat that have completely destroyed the meal by using too much heat. Please remember. Ethanol boils at 173F/78C so you don't have to get it really hot.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's true... the recipe actually says NOT to bring it to a boil... SIMMER only!
Edited the original post for clarification.

Good catch, CJ. Thanks!

Reactions: CJ1

Fae

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Fae and :welcome. We're happy to have you with us.

I have never tried to make it with Splenda. We usually use concentrated grape juice for a "no sugar added" jam...comes out to about 1/2 the calories, 1/2 the carbs and 1/2 the sugar of a regular jam. Let us know how yours turned out.

Mine turned out horrible. I've never made something that tasted that appalling! I'll have to try the juice, though.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sugar free is easy. I like to use cook carrots and roasted red peppers for natural sweetness in sauces.

For jellies, preserves, etc. you can add frozen concentrated juices to add sweetness to fruit for sweet products. Use no sugar pectin and follow instructions carefully.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We use concentrated grape juice to make our No Sugar Added Fruit Spreads...about 1/2 the sugar and 1/2 the carbs as regular jam.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
How much fruit juice concentrate do you guys use to get the desired sweetness, say per pound of fruit?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Add it to your fruit or use as juice according to directions on the pectin box.