Sugar--make it at home

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
http://www.grandpappy.info/rsugar.htm

"we all want to stock that sugar if needed, but if no sugar was available, be sure to have sugar beet packets for planting. at least that way you would have some sweet if needed"
:)
Thank you for this link. I have been searching seed catalogs for a couple years to find a source for sugar beet seeds. I ordered the Baker creek catalog last year but it never arrived.
I make hard cider, rhubarb and blueberry/grape wine every fall and having a natural source for sugar has been on my to do list for some time. Your timing is excellent as I was filling out an herb order form for territorial seed yesterday. I will order from sandmountainherbs instead.
Can't thank you enough. Rich :clap

S

sunsaver

I don't ever use sugar for anything, but i would like to get some of those sugar beets to eat as a snack!:)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
Can sugar beets be made into chips like taro or potatos? I think that might be pretty tasty!
Something to ponder.....

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Maybe we'll just have to grow some and try that.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
CheerioLounge said:
Can sugar beets be made into chips like taro or potatos? I think that might be pretty tasty!
Something to ponder.....
That sounds like it'd be good with some cinnamon, or nutmeg. I'm one of those people that find it hard to get too much sugar. :drool

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What an interesting thread....it makes me want to dig out the old newspaper clipping I have of my Great-Grandfather. In the 19-teens he lost part of his leg building the sugar beet factory in Sebewaing Michigan. My Grandmother used to recall helping him strap his wooden peg-leg on when she was a little girl. The newspaper features a picture of him holding her in front of the factory. I can remember picking up the sugar beets that would bounce off of the trucks. Long before Monsanto made them all GMO. We would cut ppieces and eat them, or put them out for the deer.

There are some great Youtube videos, and quite a bit of 4-H & FFA literature about how the refining process is accomplished. Personally I would rather harvest maple sap, and cook it until it crystalizes... a fun experiment nonetheless!!

Good Luck, have fun!