Suggest tire project

mamakate

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Anybody have tire ides? I tried using them for a planter, but the city inspector objected. :rolleyes:

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I've seen swings from an old fashioned tire swing to one that was made to look like a horse.

Take them to a tire recycling center. Some areas have periodic collection days for old tires.

Don't save them. They hold rainwater and are excellent brooding areas for mosquitoes.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What was the city planners objection? Too ugly? Fire hazard? I wonder...

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I remember an old guy named Mr. Booker who used to run a country store down by my aunt Diane's house (back in the early 80's when a kid could still walk to the store and bring home a six pack for dad. LOL) Anyway, he had taken a bunch of tires, cut them in half to make two half circles and painted them white all over. Then, he stood them up in the ground, touching each other, to make a low decorative fence separating his house property from his store property. Something like this:

^^^^^^^^ but curved instead of pointy on the top.

Cassandra

(or maybe they were burried half way... Hard to remember. I was ten. LOL http://fubini.swarthmore.edu/CPAC/jpegs/tires.jpg )

mamakate

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
I remember an old guy named Mr. Booker who used to run a country store down by my aunt Diane's house (back in the early 80's when a kid could still walk to the store and bring home a six pack for dad. LOL) Anyway, he had taken a bunch of tires, cut them in half to make two half circles and painted them white all over. Then, he stood them up in the ground, touching each other, to make a low decorative fence separating his house property from his store property. Something like this:

^^^^^^^^ but curved instead of pointy on the top.

Cassandra

(or maybe they were burried half way... Hard to remember. I was ten. LOL http://fubini.swarthmore.edu/CPAC/jpegs/tires.jpg )
I've seen those in the country. I don't think the inspector would go for it, though. He didn't say what the problem was, just a threatening note in the mail. I wasn't attatched enough to the idea to argue. I did fight for my 3x15 ft patch of wild daisies- in the BACK yard.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
How does anyone have the right to object to you using them as a planter? And wild daisies? Yeek.........
I think you must be in a city?
So the things like using them to hold feed bowls for animals would be out?
I have seen tires used for retaining walls and bumpers on boats- I have heard of people making shoes out of them but I have never tried anything with tires. Sorry.

Well duh- how could you have a city inspector unless you lived in a city.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sounds like you are very limited on what you can do with them....threatening note in the mail? wow

recycyle. old tires are made into a million things so sending them on their way is not a bad thing.

you had to fight for a 3X15 flower patch. yikes...LOL

I did see that tire swing that is shaped like a horse...how cool is that....stirrups and all :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Well that is pretty stupid. The inspector I mean. I can see a HOA objecting to tacky aesthetics (sigh) but what business is it of the city's? Unless the tires were somehow arranged so's they could hold mosquito water, but that seems unlikely for a *planter*. Me, I'd complain :p

But anyhow, as far as alternatives, the easiest thing would be see if you can freecycle them :p Or bite the bullet and pay your five bucks or whatever to sent them to a tire recycler.

I use a few as 'overflow' coldframes - just put a piece of plexiglas or old windowpane over 'em, there ya go - but I daresay Mr Hoity Toity Inspector would frown on that as well.

I've seen them used in various ways -- those horse swings, as segmented garden edging, and a buncha other things -- BUT you can only cut tires up and use 'em that way if they are NOT radial tires, and these days most are radials. Radials you don't wanna be cutting up as it will expose all the nasty sharp metal bits.

So I dunno, but good luck!

Pat

Latest posts