Suggest tire project

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i am collecting tires to plant potatoes in next spring. I have read up on them and if done right you are supposed to get around 50# per 4 tire stack. there is alot of info on the net and you-tube. My objective is 4 stacks each being different except 2 which will be plain ole russets the other 2 will be Yukon golds and a red variety. the idea is vertical garden to save in ground space.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey f3

my MIL does that. we have fields of taters planted but at her house she makes the stacked tiers of tater "houses" as we call them with leftover tractor tires.
works wonders!

cool

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
taters here too. My grandmother used to plant her strawberries in a big tractor tire planter.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've never tried it yet, but at least 20 yrs ago, an older man whole lived next to me, grew sweet potatoes in old tires. He claimed it was the only why he could get a crop in our northern climate. The black rubber absorbs and radiates heat to the likings of spuds...
I would think that any crop that likes heat, tomatoes, eggplants, etc, would benefit from this growing method during the cooler part of the growing season in northern climates.
I wonder though, if the roots would absorb toxins from the rubber tire..? maybe one could use clear plastic as a liner between tires and growing medium...? i don't know, just wondering about potatoes growing in that enviroment..What do you folks think..?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when we used tractor tires to grow things we did not use liners or anything.

his mom and dad have done it for ny' on 75 years this way, as did their parents....no one died from it specifically yet that I know of...LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Neat-o! Another good idea I need to run by DH!

Thanks!

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have always wanted to grow potatoes in tires but didn't ever have the opportunity. Now that I do, I had been on a thread on the easygarden forum and we were talking about all the toxins leaching out into the soil. I am unsure enough about it to have decided to plant mine in the ground unless I can find something else to use. There is no proof and yes people have been doing it for years, but how many things have people been using for years without a second thought and now we know better. I definitely am NOT a tree hugger but I have been trying to get chemicals as much out of my environment as possible. In this day and age and with how spoiled we Americans are, it it nearly impossible to keep all chemicals away, so I do it where ever I can.

Monica

I used to have instructions for making sandals out of old tire treads, my ex thought I was crazy. I didn't ever do it though, I still think it's a cool idea.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My dad did this for us kids when we were growing up...read about it in the Mother Earth News. They last forever! Not real attractive though! :p

I think tires are made from a few different things now than they were then, so I would hesitate to wear them on my person now. I, too, have wondered about the chemicals leaching into the root crops, such as potatoes.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kind of off the tire topic but I wonder if you could plant potatoes in a feed bag, roll it down and plant, roll up and add, etc. its porous enough the extra water could run out......now Im thinking....

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
kind of off the tire topic but I wonder if you could plant potatoes in a feed bag, roll it down and plant, roll up and add, etc. its porous enough the extra water could run out......now Im thinking....
The main benefit besides recycling tires is the warmth they provide, so the down side I see of using feed bags is the loss of heat? Maybe you could combine the two, the feed bags may prevent some contact with the tires, thus decreasing the chemical leeching concerns (I am going to line or put something inside the tires), but still possibly gain the benefit of the insulation provided by the warmth of the tires?
Just a thought, good use for the feedbags, nice idea! I may try both!
Tina

Oh yeah, who says tires have to stay unattractive? I'm gonna put zebra stripes on mine!

Conversation at my house last night:

Me .........."Dear, if I wanted to grow potatoes in tires, could I use some of those that you have behind the garage?"
Frankie........(eyebrows raise).............
Me.........."I've been reading this thread on SufficientSelf.com and I could put them to better use than having them in a pile behind the garage? What do you think?"..........
Frankie...........(eyebrows raise)...........
Me..........."Do you think chemicals from the tires are going to poison the potatoes?"........
Frankie...........(Frowns)..................
Me.........."Cool...we're gonna grow Potatoes in tires!!"
Franke........."Yeah, I guess we are, where to you want them?".........

I love my HUSBAND!!!