Summer Vacations??

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now that summer is coming and kids out of school for alot of us.....what is the big summer vacation this year?

Are you staying home cause of finances?

Did you save money for a speical trip for the nice season?

What is everyone doing?

Me, just camping as usual...nothing dramatic planned, just staying closer to home and enjoying my 4 states, NC where I live, Virginia above me and SC below me and TN to the side....LOL---all close with tons to do and camping is huge fun for me!

just wondering what everyone has planned and how ya'll will unwind and relax this season for vacations?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Never did the big yearly vacation thing in the first place, so no change here :)

Actually come to think of it I don't believe I've ever (since moving out of my parents' house) Taken A Vacation, as opposed to occasional day or overnight trips or job-related travel. (I've managed to piggyback a fair bit of sightseeing all across the country onto the latter. But if I had to pay for the whole trip, I sure wouldn't'a gone!)

We do drive down to PA to visit my family twice a year, does that count? :p

Pat

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Summer vacation? What's that? Because of layoff, hubby is off during the winter, which is when we go. I'd love to do a few gardens this summer (I want to get to Monticello) but I'll have to go with someone else, maybe my Mom. Someday maybe he'll be able to vacation like most people....

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Vacation????? Whats that?

We do working vacations. LOL When not at work we work at home.

I have not done the vacation thing in years. Use to camp a lot and spend a week on one river or another fishing, canoeing, camping etc. Not now. We will take a morning or afternoon and go fish for a few hours. But major time off from paying jobs are coordinated with planting, picking, canning. We will occasionally take a weekend camping trip to a campsite about 10 miles from the house. That way I can run home and tend animals if need be.
WOW some weekend away. Right.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Same as the rest of the gals....any time off work or pretty weather is spent choring or enjoying the local highlights...like fishing! Never did the yearly thingy, as there was never any yearly money! :p :lol:

Gardening and such IS my vacation! :)

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Greg's on vacation right now and he's spending his time building my breeding coops for my chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese. Good man, that one. Between finances, kids that don't travel well because of medical issues, animals that would need to be fed while we were gone and my garden, summer vacation just isn't in the cards for us.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We don't really do vacations. We usually take a week-end to visit relatives during the summer. We get a friend's son to watch the animals.

Last year we went to WI to visit dh's aunt and help celebrate her 90th birthday.

This year we are going to NY for dh's nephew's high school graduation.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Day trips is what I call them. Big week long vacations come up about once in every 5 years at our house...you know, to make them seem extra special. (Really because I hate spending money!)
The last one was from Texas to Chicago on 95% route 66 roads, (that are available these days). It was my mother, sister and my daughter in my sister's big old suburban. We each had our own seats...very fun!!
:bun

Day trips are the best way to go I think, during lean times. Even when we lived in Houston we could find interesting places to go that are no longer than a 2 hour drive. My daughter, who has an old fashioned soul, is very easy to please...thank Gaud!

Now that we are in North Western Washington we take day trips every weekend, and alot of times after school! For the price of gas for a Honda Civic and a pack lunch we can spend the whole day hiking, backpacking, seashell hunting and finding cool little shops for window shoping. (When we are child-free a nice glass of micro-brew at some little, local pub fits well into the budget...mmmm!):drool

We also have horses and they double as vacations as far as I am concerned!:D

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
My husband and I used to vacation when we were living in an apartment, in the city, and could really USE a vacation. We would take our camping van and drive somewhere like the Four Corners area or Banf, Canada. Then when we owned a house with a garden we tamed ourselves a little and would just backpack in the nearby mountains for a week at the most. Now we don't even do day hikes anymore. We just have too many responsibilities, and quite frankly we like our responsibilities. We only get out when our friends drag us kicking and screaming. LOL

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi FC good to see you around,
Last year we did a long trailer trip. Traveled 1000 miles one way and never left California. Landed our fifth wheel in a campground near the great redwoods of northern Ca. it was fab.
This year I don't think we will be going anywhere. We were supposed to load up and head to Missouri. My husband has an aunt in Seymour. I wanted to see the area. You know in case we have to cut and run from Ca. I thought a nice little farm there might be a good idea.
Who knows we may still try and go. It is a long drive though and I really don't want to leave my veggie gardens unattended. Let alone spend any money.
:idunno

Latest posts