Sunburn

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was out for 15 minutes yesterday in a tube dress and my back is scorched. Like seriously, lobster red here. Its killing me and I'm unable to lie on my back to sleep because of it! Anyone got any natural/home remedies to try out?

I have fair skin and burn super easily.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I used to sunburn really bad, and the fastest relief was from taking a barely warm bath, with a few cups of vinegar in the water. Aloe is nice later, when it's a little safer to touch the skin.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:( I wish I could take a bath but we don't have a bathtub. And the bathroom is being remodeled so there is no shower either (unless you count the hose with the shower setting LOL).

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Take a cotton ball or pad, or even a wash cloth and soak it in white vinegar and wipe it over the sunburn. You'll stink but you'll feel better :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you have some pure lavendar essential oil, that can be used straight on a burn. If your skin is super sensitive, test a small area inside your forearm first.

If you have some super-antioxidants around, you can take them internally. Sunburn is extreme oxidative stress. So what do you have that is a dark, rich color, or supplements? Like OPC's, ORAC's, acai, etc as supplements. Or grapes, dark berries, elderberry wine or jam, etc.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good old aloe and ibuprofen.

Do you have Burt's Bees products where you are? They make a great after sun lotion with linden and aloe, and it is great, smells herbally good too. I keep it in the fridge - aloe goes in the fridge too - it feels good to put it on cold.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ditto what Free said - load up on antioxidants.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ooo we do have burts bees (I use the lipbalm).

This is the burn..

sunburn.jpg

It's actually a bit redder in person, but thats the best photo I could get. I can't even wear a bra it hurts so bad. The strap marks are FROM my bra lol because I was wearing a tube dress but the girls are too .... large to be free-hangin'

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
You could put water in the sink with some vinegar. Soak a hand towel in it and wring out the excess. Then lay it on your burn. Dilute the vinegar so it wont dry the skin more. If you can add a little lavender E O- to the water- that's wonderful.

You could also mix the stuff and put it in a mister/spray bottle.