sunscreen

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Having had blistering burns and sun poisoning many times when I was young, I tend to stay indoors or covered until I safely "tan" using the slow and steady method (which isn't anything like brown, but it keeps me from being burned). I also hate the way sunscreen feels, but I have to say, I love the smell- it smells like summer on the beach to me.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yep, Jamsoundsgood, i wear good ol' clothes.. but not light colored or white shirts. i find you need a colored, light weight, long sleeved tshirt is best for me. my favorite one is a medium blue long sleeve shirt and a big hat. and long shorts with tall sox.

i couldnt stand to come in and be covered in chemicals..and have the little cats climb all over me. so i gave it up. the thing that pushed me over the edge was when i saw my pal who lived in the southwest for 20 years, has perfect, fair, skin...and never uses sun screen. i figure if she can do it so can i.

as far as being too hot.. honestly you kinda get used to it. and the people how live in the desert.. golly.. they all cover up. think of it as making your own shade...

:)

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't used sunscreen in years because of the chemicals. Even before that I rarely used it. I just wear light weight long sleeve shirts and pants if I intend to be in the sun for a long time. It also works well as mosquito protection. Once someone asked me if I was hot dressed like that. Actually I am cooler unless I am sweating from physical exertion.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'm going to get myself a nice long sleeve cotton shirt and some loose pants for this summer. I have to be out in the yard sometimes. I have a big straw garden hat.
Anybody have info on the sunblocking fabrics? I know they tend to be expensive...

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
abifae said:
silk is a natural uv blocker.

:)
But not necessarily backyard friendly. :/
I dunno why not. You can pick up silk shirts pretty cheap at a thrift store and then who *cares* if they get schmutzy when you're working in the yard? If sweat and water stains bug you, buy something in a loud floral print, you'll never notice 'em :)

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That Burt's Bees stuff looks good. I use titanium dioxide when I go to the water park. Sun BLOCK can be helpful and useful. Sun SCREEN can be toxic and INCREASE your chances of getting cancer. Mineral oil appears to be a culprit.

"Moisturizing lotions such as Beiersdorf AG's Eucerin and Paddock Laboratories Inc.'s Dermabase may raise the risk of skin cancer, according to researchers who tested the products on mice.

Skin tumors grew faster and in greater numbers in mice that were exposed to ultraviolet light and rubbed with the creams than in nonmoisturized animals, a study released today by the Journal of Investigative Dermatology found. Healthpoint Ltd.'s Dermovan and Pharmaceutical Specialties Inc.'s Vanicream showed similar effects.

Cellular damage caused by ultraviolet light from the sun is linked to about 1 million cases of skin cancer in the U.S. annually, said the study's authors, led by Yao Ping-Lu, a cancer researcher at Rutgers University in New Jersey. Moisturizers, used by many people around the world to protect their skin, should be tested for cancer risk, said Allan Conney, director of the laboratory for cancer research at the Rutgers School of Pharmacy, who helped write the study.

``It waves a red flag'' he said in a telephone interview. ``It tells us that we should take a more careful look at this issue.''

Large studies comparing skin-cancer rates among sun-exposed people who use skin cream with rates among those who don't use it would help establish the link, he said. Until then, he said, people should probably keep using the lotions.

Mineral Oil

Mineral oil, a familiar ingredient in skin creams, has been linked to tumor formation, and sodium lauryl sulfate, another common ingredient, has been tied to irritation in the past. The researchers also tested a lotion, prepared for them by Johnson & Johnson, that didn't contain those two ingredients. The cream wasn't linked to an increase in tumor risk or growth, the authors said.

Beiersdorf, based in Hamburg, also makes Nivea skin creams. The company's shares fell 3 cents, to 39.77 euros, in Frankfurt, and have declined 22 percent in 12 months.

Vanicream has been used safely for 30 years, said Brian Leary, vice president of marketing for closely held Pharmaceutical Specialties, based in Rochester, Minnesota, in an e-mailed statement. The number of mice that developed tumors after Vanicream treatment wasn't significantly different from the number that grew cancers in the comparison group, he said.

The company is reviewing the study, which is ``of doubtful significance given the small number of samples and statistical methods used,'' he said.

No More Dermovan

Healthpoint stopped making Dermovan in 2006, said Mark Mitchell, vice president of regulatory compliance for the company's closely held parent, DFB Pharmaceuticals Inc., based in San Antonio. Sales had slowed for the product, which pharmacists used to make medicinal lotions, he said. He also questioned the study's validity.

``I think there's a lot of difference between irradiated mice and human cancer,'' Mitchell said today in a telephone interview.

Calls to Beiersdorf and closely held Paddock, based in Minneapolis, weren't immediately returned.

In the study, hairless mice were exposed to ultraviolet light twice a week, for 20 weeks, which increased their rate of developing tumors. They were then rubbed with skin creams once a day, five days a week, for 17 weeks. In some cases, moisturized mice had twice as many tumors."
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20670001&sid=aUUDjXdS4zXQ

We've been told that the highly refine mineral oil used is cosmetics is NOT harmful, but this study does make you think twice. Sure it was just on mice, but I am avoiding mineral oil in ANY form. You decide for yourself what you think is best.

More
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...yK5w9Y&sig=AHIEtbR3NTs_WsVcl8tEyhhWuZp6Ve-4cg
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1630563/?page=1
http://www.skincarenet.org/news.php?include=136613

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I have heard it is a good idea to dose up on vitamin C before you go out for sun exposure. It is the natural way to protect your skin. :)

That and I am a firm believer in working outside only until about 10 am and then only going out after 2 pm (if not later). The middle of the day is when I do my house chores. :p