Supper beets

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:) Just to clarify - what I experienced wasn't from a large quantity of nutrients - it was due to the oxalic acid (oxalic acid = poison) contained in the food. Oxalic acid is also implicated as contributing to kidney stones and is considered to be an "anti-nutrient."

Also Google just might be your friend here...
Screenshot_2017-09-18-12-35-07.png

Direct link ---> https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/kidney-stones-oxalate-controlled-diet

Luckily for me I don't have this problem, so I'm not giving up my canned raw beet juice - it has to many positives for me :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dehydrate some of my extra kale and powder it myself to add to smoothies or powdered eggs, or whatever. Never thought of doing beets... maybe because they are so good we usually end up eating them all either fresh or pickled; none left for powdering. The liquid is a good idea though...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We use a powdered supplement with all kinds of super foods in it - all organic and all that. No way I could mix up the stuff that's in that....and we love it. I can't do pure beets - damn near killed me once...

I think there's a place for both. If you can grow 'em - I say go for it. If you can tolerate it without an allergic reaction - do it! I'll continue on with our powdered supplement because it covers more than I ever could ever mix up - or even grow.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know if people have more $$$ than brains or if they are just lazy and don't want to put in a garden and can? All the dependancy on processed food nowadays is simply crazy. Even my MIL & FIL won't eat the eggs that my chickens lay, let alone chicken that I raised and butchered. They say "it's not natural". Which is the most lame assed excuse I ever heard... if they would only understand what kind of conditions factory chickens live in they might understand natural from unnatural... But you know I have to be nice to the in laws.

I used to sell chicken eggs and I still remember one lady that told me she wasn't going to buy my eggs anymore because "they're too orange!" She claimed they made all her baked goods look weird. *sigh*

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My sister won't eat at my house. I raise and slaughter animals and I am cruel......and my sister joins the ranks of blithering idiots.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I actually had an egg customer tell me once that my hens' eggs are "too rich" for them :th Poor things.

As for the powdered supplements, I bought some powdered kale, pea protein, spirulina etc to add to my morning shake for a protein boost. Yikes. It may be good for you, but the taste :sick

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
When I'm not pregnant I have a hard time eating breakfast. These days I wake up thirsty and starving!
When I was pregnant I had a hard time eating, or rather keeping food down. It was so bad, I ended up losing weight! The breakfast thing has been an issue for me for many, many years though. I just can't face food so early in the day.