Supper beets

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Breakfast -- sometimes isn't until 9:30-10:30, after chores. On days when I leave out at 6-7AM to work, can't eat, no time. Protein shake. Most work days I do not leave early like that...maybe twice a month, generally a team job. Most days I set my own hrs & work alone. :cool:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That is good to know, FEM. I wonder how long you need to wait with fresh beets, before they can be juiced safely. Heaven only knows how old the ones in the grocery stores are :\

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you can them, doesn't that kill the oxalic acid?
No idea - I just don't eat beets anymore. :( I do love them pickled though...maybe I'll give one a little taste.

I had no problem juicing beets that I had bought at the grocery store. That was the first time I'd juiced really fresh beets. And, by fresh, I mean they had literally been in the ground 5 minutes before I drank the juice. The other factor mentioned by the doc is the possibility that because we were in a drought that year that the oxalates might have been more concentrated... I dunno...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Crud, I like all the things on that list… I'd better go easy on them.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As a matter of fact... I just finished drinking my daily 1 1/2 pots of coffee. Now I'm drinking lemonade with a touch of beet juice. For me it's a great mid-day pick me up so I don't fall asleep. After all that coffee you wouldn't think I would be tired though.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Home grown, beets store bought processed powdered crap.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's true of so many things - why don't people THINK???

Many have no idea. I mean, powdered kale, powdered beets? We grow these and eat them fresh --- :hide:lol::lol: don't tell!
Some just have tooo much free $$$. :p

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dehydrate some of my extra kale and powder it myself to add to smoothies or powdered eggs, or whatever. Never thought of doing beets... maybe because they are so good we usually end up eating them all either fresh or pickled; none left for powdering. The liquid is a good idea though...

I would like to get into dehydrating more. I do the obvious like jerky, peppers and spices but never really tried vegetables.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I would do the supplement. Because supplements are dose-specific. And Super Beet increase cardiac stroke volume, which is something I need for my health condition. And I hate beets.

I make my own kale powder though!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My parents use the super beets. My mom hates beets, they do have a garden but root vegetables can be difficult for them to manage (knee surgeries and all, still hard for them to get down on the ground). They aren't lazy. They just pick their battles. I think supplements are often better than taking medication.