Supply Chain Upheaval

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Looks like we will experience shortages of general items for a year or more, and between fires, floods, drought, and hurricanes, a lot of crops have suffered. It's getting hard to separate the educated predictions from the fear-mongering. Panic buying has begun, while others stock a reasonable amount of essentials. It's interesting for sure. Not what I envisioned for SHTF, and I'm not convinced it will be that bad. I'm already needing to grow my pantry - it was smallest ever - and random shortages sure make it interesting.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm trying to make decisions informed by 2020 panic shopping, and also by products I cannot use a substitute for.

Appliances are in short supply. My oven broke- the relay for the broiler fried, so that when the oven is turned off, the broiler turns on! That was an exciting discovery 🤣 DH bypassed the broiler wiring and we are hoping to wait out the appliance shortages, or we will settle for a used stove.

Tires have been an issue. We put new tires on most of our vehicles in the last year, but the one done last month we couldn't get the tires we wanted. Fortunately our tractor tire could be patched.

Rumor is that CO2 shortage is or will cause poultry meat shortage because [some?] processors use CO2 to stun/kill. WI isnt affected yet but I'm seeing pictures of prices in pockets around the country that are getting high. I'm also seeing people posting pictures of very large cuts of meat at low price per pound and being outraged over "inflation." 🤣 Perception is a funny thing.

My goal is 6 weeks worth of consumables because that's what I used/needed last year. And up to 12 weeks for items I can't substitute other brands.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I don't expect much of shortages to affect my family.

Christmas shopping is done, so shortages of cheap imported gift items wont affect us.

We already buy used clothing so shortages of imported clothing wont affect us. I already topped off our winter gear and kids are set for clothes and shoes through next fall.

I have mixed feelings about supply chain issues, mostly :pop

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I lived in hurricane country most of my life. Hurricanes cause a rush on everything, then afterwards there are bare shelves for awhile.

This supply chain upheaval is like a never ending hurricane. I have squirrel DNA, always stocking up on stuff anyway, so if I see something that I use, I get it.

life just stomped all over me, so durned if I know what I'll need, not need, want or not. I guess maybe I ought to get a few cans of coffee. That's about all I can think of right now. Oh, need a dishwasher, mine broke, can't sell a house without a dishwasher.:ep

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I lived in hurricane country most of my life. Hurricanes cause a rush on everything, then afterwards there are bare shelves for awhile.

This supply chain upheaval is like a never ending hurricane. I have squirrel DNA, always stocking up on stuff anyway, so if I see something that I use, I get it.

life just stomped all over me, so durned if I know what I'll need, not need, want or not. I guess maybe I ought to get a few cans of coffee. That's about all I can think of right now. Oh, need a dishwasher, mine broke, can't sell a house without a dishwasher.:ep
Coffee for sure! With enough coffee you can figure out the rest. (((hugs))) One foot in front of the other, whenever you are able, and you'll find your way to solid ground. 💓

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I live in Hurricane country now, lol. We're pretty well always stocked up, but I've been slacking a little because we have so much already. I still replace everything I get low on so I almost always have two of everything in the pantry. For instance, used the last of the mayonnaise for chicken salad so went to the pantry got another and then added it to the grocery list. There's still one in the pantry and a fresh one in the fridge and by tomorrow there'll be another one in my shopping cart.

I wish I could find some of those larger cuts of meat on sale. I had hoped that July 4th sales would include brisket - but nope. About the only meat I saw on sale for the 4th was hot dogs. Ugh!

I'm hoping lumber prices keep dropping. I haven't priced anything yet, but have some projects in mind that I'd like to get started with cooler weather on the horizon.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Looks like we will experience shortages of general items for a year or more, and between fires, floods, drought, and hurricanes, a lot of crops have suffered. It's getting hard to separate the educated predictions from the fear-mongering. Panic buying has begun, while others stock a reasonable amount of essentials. It's interesting for sure. Not what I envisioned for SHTF, and I'm not convinced it will be that bad. I'm already needing to grow my pantry - it was smallest ever - and random shortages sure make it interesting.

is there a run on TP again?!?!!!! we're seeing a few things coming up short here or there but nothing we really need is missing when we need it. we're not big customers of overseas products nor do we really eat high on the hog so our most basic supplies are things like flour, sugar and other baking supplies plus whatever projects Mom wants to get into for cooking.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The issue isn't TP per se, it's the wood for the pulp, to make it. Most stores I see are stocked. I know I am overstocked at home. Most problems are possible lack of a component to make, or package, then transport issues.

But devastating weather is playing he)) with food production, as well as livestock feed.
Trickle down is everywhere. Prices will keep rising!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought an extra pack of TP as it's getting touchy here again. Im good until next summer.

Getting any specific item takes patience right now. I'm still waiting for a new gem module for my truck. It's been on order since January. The mechanic cleaned up the old one well enough that everything is working again but it does need replaced.

I bought that little plastic 4x6 shed to use as a root cellar of sorts. Got the thin reflective insulation up in it. It did well with heat, will see on cold. I can run a power cord out there if really needed. I still have a chick heat lamp I can put up and 100 watt incandescent bulbs if it starts to get to freezing.

Latest posts