Supply Chain Upheaval

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i know i'm odd, but a dishwasher would not be a selling positive point at all. i'd much rather have the cupboard space and one less thing to break or leak or ...
I have a dishwasher in there already. I bought a new one when we bought the house. So to sell, I need one that WORKS! LOL Plus, I like a dishwasher.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The local news just had a short blurb on shortages. It seems that China has a power shortage and is closing factories on certain days to conserve power.

The whole world moved manufacturing to China and made them a wealthy country. Now it's coming back to bite us in the backside.

I worked in furniture stores years back. I watched as China bought bedroom sets, tables, chairs, etc and took them back to China so they could copy and make the same for much less. American companies folded, unable to compete, like a row of dominoes. Soon there was none left. Then China raised their prices.

This happened in every industry.

We outsourced our labor. Middle class and lower paid workers suffered the loss. I used to work in Lufkin Industries, building oil field pumping units. That place is closed, razed to the ground and gone. I made a decent living for the years I worked there. People used to make a good living working in factories. We have made a Communist country filthy rich so they can go to war against us. How foolish we have been.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a dishwasher in there already. I bought a new one when we bought the house. So to sell, I need one that WORKS! LOL Plus, I like a dishwasher.

good luck finding one that fits! you may need to sell it as is if you can't get one. so many container ships are stacked up waiting to get into the ports that lead time on a new one may be months away. if anything just get a picture of a dishwasher and put it on there. :) just kidding of course, but the good luck and patience may be needed...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And a lot of people may re-discover CLOTH diapers. :lol:

Last fall, Mom had to explain to my SIL about how they used to cut cheap paper towels into pieces that would fit into a baby wipe tub and add baby oil to make their own wipes. Just enough to wet them. (They could use wet wash cloths at home. This was for when going to town.) My nephew is autistic and won't tolerate a wash cloth. She couldn't get wipes there for a bit because she sucks at planning ahead.

Oh and making wipes like that doesn't cause bacteria to grow and infect babies like all the homemade wipe 'recipes' you see online. I've seen too many news articles about babies that got some infection because of that. The mineral oil doesn't cause the paper towels to fall apart unlike water based stuff.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom had to get a new dishwasher last spring. She ordered because they guaranteed the shipment would be in the next week. 3 months later, she got it and she showed the written guaranteed on delivery time (she always gets it written). Then she argued them into $200 back because she'd have bought a different, cheaper one that they did get in stock during that time.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
... We have made a Communist country filthy rich...

uh, no...

U.S. gdp per capita for 2020 was $63,544
China gdp per capita for 2020 was $10,500

there's a lot wrong in the world these days, but it's not going to get fixed the way things are going now so i try to encourage people to work on things that actually do help for the longer term.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
uh, no...

U.S. gdp per capita for 2020 was $63,544
China gdp per capita for 2020 was $10,500

there's a lot wrong in the world these days, but it's not going to get fixed the way things are going now so i try to encourage people to work on things that actually do help for the longer term.
per capita doesn't have much to do with the filthy rich. It's a communist country. The leaders and top politicians are the filthy rich, not the per capita peons.