Sustainable Chickens!! :O

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Separate. The goat will eat the chicken's feed and you won't want that. The chickens can wander into the goat's space and that's alright but you don't want the goat in the chicken's coop at all.
Bee is that you???

i think we were both over on that other forum

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yep...it's me! Welcome to the BYC sister site! :)
it's cold as all gitout but we are hatching up a storm here in N.H.
buff orpingtons,lemon cuckoo orpingtons & a few english orpington X french bresse meat birds
the crosses should be yummy come summer.

i don't really sell eggs, i hatch em in season & get $5 each for them
the left overs head off to freezer camp.

just added 15 more eggs to the cabinet bator
it will be on till the end of May
that should about do it for me.

i should also add that muscovy ducks are great for anyone looking to convert feed into good lean meat. we have a dozen our back in their own coop as i type.
with 9 girls i should be all covered up with ducklings once the weather warms

Last edited:

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sounds like you are going gangbusters even in the cold! :thumbsup
can't let bad weather slow up my hatching
i figure on making enough to cover all my years feed by going to the swaps & selling pullets & with some luck baby turkeys too :)

LadyCedar

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We found 2 free ice-fishing huts, metal sheathed which is great to keep predators out! Insulated for winter use. We renovated the ice huts with recycled skid/pallet wood. Added "Florida windows" we had left over from having to scrap out an old slide in camper, left behind by the former owners. so we now have 2 coops that cost us $60 for the fuel to haul them home! And a couple of days of renovating......

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Conga Rats! Love it when things like that happen
I was able to save money on our duck coop (Fort Quacksop) when a friend gifted me with a bunch of 'paneling' from her family room remodel... 1/2" hardwood that was- I painted it with some water repelling stuff on the outside since it wasn't exterior grade... but it has held up very well so far.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@LadyCedar please post pics of your super cool coop! Especially since an ice fishing hut around here is non existent, wouldn't know one if it smacked me with a fish!

Latest posts