Sustainable Tips to Save Money on Groceries

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make Tomato sauce in Summer/Autumn as a way to use up all the Tomatoes I grow, I love them and last year was picking about 2kgs a day. It's pretty cheap to buy sugar and vinegar for the sauce.

I like to make a HUGE pot of chicken stew from a whole chicken, by the time I add onions/potatoes, etc I usually have enough for 4-5 days eating, perfect winter food.

I also eat seasonally in regards to fruit and vegetables I grow as it hurts my soul to buy from the store.
And of course all my meat is free from my hunting/diving.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also eat seasonally in regards to fruit and vegetables I grow as it hurts my soul to buy from the store.
And of course all my meat is free from my hunting/diving.

Not quite there yet with fruit and berries but working on it... I can relate to the hurting soul having to buy from the store.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got them from a rancher friend. Cattle syrup lick tubs will make a fine garden! LOL
Protein tubs will hold 21 gallons of water which is a little over 3 cuft of compost soil.

The least expensive bagged soil I've found last year was on sale at rural king (40 lbs or .75 cuft) 4 bags should get you close for each tub. Currently top soil at rural king is $2.75 a bag so that's $11.00 a tub, if you went with all bagged soil.

At this rate, if you got access to a plow and disc you would be a lot better off money wise. Probably wouldn't take but a few dollars in fuel to plow and disc. If you have access to a box tiller you could also till instead of plow and disc but I like top soil on the bottom rotting when the roots find it they take off like a rocket.

Just thinking out loud

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I believe she has a tractor and disc. But with several other things "to do" time for a new garden plot may be limited. Don't think a site has been decided yet. 🤷. Agree about cost factors.

A tiller attachment here this year has been worth the expense!! Not just garden but some shallow pasture reno has been good. More this spring will be done.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Protein tubs will hold 21 gallons of water which is a little over 3 cuft of compost soil.

The least expensive bagged soil I've found last year was on sale at rural king (40 lbs or .75 cuft) 4 bags should get you close for each tub. Currently top soil at rural king is $2.75 a bag so that's $11.00 a tub, if you went with all bagged soil.

At this rate, if you got access to a plow and disc you would be a lot better off money wise. Probably wouldn't take but a few dollars in fuel to plow and disc. If you have access to a box tiller you could also till instead of plow and disc but I like top soil on the bottom rotting when the roots find it they take off like a rocket.

Just thinking out loud

You are absolutely right. I’ll look around for a place where I can buy compost by the yard. It will be cheaper that way. I have horrible fences, with 40 years of brush and trees, vines, briars and just a mess. That’s where I’ll be directing my energy. I have to clean all that up, take down the old fence and put up new fence. The tubs are to give me the fresh vegetables I enjoy. A real garden will come later. :love

Latest posts