Sweater Purse

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Emerald said:
I just found an old sweater that is 70% wool and the rest is artificial can I still use it to make a purse for my daughter? and how hot does it have to be to "felt" it so I can sew it?
With that much wool it should felt enough. I usually set the washer on hot, and either put several sweaters together (same colors together) or put in a few towels for more friction. I just let mine run on one cycle and usually it's good enough. Sometimes they shrink down too much, but I always forget to check on them halfway through the wash cycle. :lol:

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Emerald said:
I just found an old sweater that is 70% wool and the rest is artificial can I still use it to make a purse for my daughter? and how hot does it have to be to "felt" it so I can sew it?
With that much wool it should felt enough. I usually set the washer on hot, and either put several sweaters together (same colors together) or put in a few towels for more friction. I just let mine run on one cycle and usually it's good enough. Sometimes they shrink down too much, but I always forget to check on them halfway through the wash cycle. :lol:
Thank you! Considering that I just got it out of the wash and dry before asking--I guess I already did it! lol There is one small hole on the sweater so I think that I might just add a couple little fleece flowers there to hide it! But I love the idea on this--I know that I have some horrible itchy Angora sweaters somewhere that might just become very nice purses!;)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok I got the purse made and while it didn't take that long -it did turn out really nice.. Only two oopsys! First I made the straps way too long and I put them on the purse the wrong way- instead of one strap on one side only I put them from front to back on each side.. so that it doesn't lay right when you are trying to put it over your shoulder.
But I am now gonna look for all my old fancy sweaters and work on my purse making!
Thanks for your pictures and the idea! I know some gals that are gonna get some purses/should bags for the Holidays! I even got two pockets sewn into the lining so that they have room for cell phones too...
I will work on putting up a picture so you can see my mistakes and the pockets.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
turtle neck sweaters make great hats too...

i don't have photos BUT...

fold the sweater inside out... from the neck to the center chest, sew a V. then cut on the outside. fold it right side in and you have a hat lol. the turtle neck goes on the forehead and the V goes up. you can make it as rounded or as obnoxious and long as you like.

:)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Ok I got the purse made and while it didn't take that long -it did turn out really nice.. Only two oopsys! First I made the straps way too long and I put them on the purse the wrong way- instead of one strap on one side only I put them from front to back on each side.. so that it doesn't lay right when you are trying to put it over your shoulder.
But I am now gonna look for all my old fancy sweaters and work on my purse making!
Thanks for your pictures and the idea! I know some gals that are gonna get some purses/should bags for the Holidays! I even got two pockets sewn into the lining so that they have room for cell phones too...
I will work on putting up a picture so you can see my mistakes and the pockets.
Great job! I'd love to see pics!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just found this thread. I saw the pics on the blog. That is an amazing purse. It looks so cool. :thumbsup

I am having a hard time visualizing how you sewed in the lining. Then managed to turn it right side out. But maybe if and when I try to make one it will come tome. Next time I go to the Good will I will look for a sweater.

gina

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I just found this thread. I saw the pics on the blog. That is an amazing purse. It looks so cool. :thumbsup

I am having a hard time visualizing how you sewed in the lining. Then managed to turn it right side out. But maybe if and when I try to make one it will come tome. Next time I go to the Good will I will look for a sweater.

gina
I don't know if I sewed the lining like Katie did but next time I make one I will try to get a step by step going- I sewed the loose sides of the inside on to the right sides of the purse top with the straps pinned in place. Then I sewed down the sides of the liner (so that it looks like you are sewing the purse inside the inside out liner )and part of the bottom and left a hole to pull the whole thing inside out and then whip stitched the little hole shut.
But I have been making purses of some kind or another for a few years and kinda have a system for it. but I still can't believe I put the straps on wrong! lol

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I kinda figured it was something like that. It will definitely be something I will need to do hands on.

Thanks, g

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
It's definitely a hands on thing, and even right now I can't figure out which way it goes. I'm pretty sure it goes: purse, right sides out, then handles (with the inside of the handle facing out, so the right side of the handle is against the right side of the purse), and the lining goes outside of everything, with right sides in (I think). When I sew the lining together (without the purse, just the lining) I leave a little hole on the bottom or the sides, so that I can turn everything rightside out when sewn together.

Clear as mud, right? :D

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
It's definitely a hands on thing, and even right now I can't figure out which way it goes. I'm pretty sure it goes: purse, right sides out, then handles (with the inside of the handle facing out, so the right side of the handle is against the right side of the purse), and the lining goes outside of everything, with right sides in (I think). When I sew the lining together (without the purse, just the lining) I leave a little hole on the bottom or the sides, so that I can turn everything rightside out when sewn together.

Clear as mud, right? :D
Perfectly clear! ;)