Taking a step back, in order to move forward

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sometimes in life it is nessary to take a step back before you can progress once more. Sadly, one of things I'm having to do this with is all the canning equipment I've inherited. For which I will need a bit of help with.

I do realize there's a "buy, sell and trade" forum on this site. I am not attempting to sell these items here. Eventhough I don't know where everyone lives, I'm assuming that very few memebers here live close enough for me to enter into some sort of sale or trade agreement. What I'm needing is advice on what I have and it's worth.

Mind you this is both my grandmother's stuff and my mother's so there's duplication in some of it...

I've boxes and boxes of mason, ball, weller, kerr jars. Everything from small jelly jars to large wide mouth quart jars. Some are even still in thier orignal cases. There's even a few "blue" jars mixed in with them as well. I haven't a total count on (by size), tomorrow I'm planning on giving them all a good wash and repacking them in good boxes.

To this I've also (2)18qt canning pots, (1)21qt. canner/pressure cooker, an apple peeler/coring thing, tongs for lifting jars out of hot baths and a large (unknown size) pickling crock.

I really don't want to sell all this stuff. Mainly because once I do get moved, my first goals will be to start canning and freezing. But I have to weigh such things as how much will it cost me to move vs just buying new stuff once I've moved. There's also the fact that it will take a few years once I do get moved to establish a garden that I want to have, and that's only if I find the right property in the first place. It could take longer if I have to rent until I find the ideal place, this would mean having to store this stuff, unused until I'm ready.

Again, I'm not trying to sell these items here. Only trying to get an idea of value. Once I wash and repack the jars, I'll have a count of how much of which jars I have, so I can give furhter details. But going by what I've described, what do you think so far?

Thanks,

Jax

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
With this type of stuff, 2 things to consider (keep in mind this is my OPINION only):

1) How much is it worth to YOU? Sentimental value is priceless, and if you have fond memories of mom and grandma using it, then there is no value.

2) Its only worth what someone will pay for it. Although some pressure cookers are worth some $$$, most people won't pay it when they can get one at a thrift store. I recently purchased a pressure cooker at a Goodwill in Champaign, IL for $3. Its from around the 70s, and probably isn't worth more than $20.

As for the jars, same goes. I won't pay more than $3 a dozen, irregardless of their age or brand, at a yard sale or thrift store. I can go about 2 hours north of me to a flea market and buy jars all day long for $1 -$2 a dozen, and have recently got some really cool square ones...those are my favorites because they are just so pretty to look at when you're done! :D

Personally, I would keep it all if I were you. Free beats the heck out of buying new, and even if you have to drag it around, and store it, it will save a huge investment later. Not to mention if SHTF, you've got it, and don't have to hunt some down.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
if it is sound and in good shape I would hold on to the pickle crock. I have looking for years and of the grand total of 3 I have found they were all very pricy. True you can make good pickles in food grade plastic but it is not the same. I think it has to do with thermal mass. If you can't keep it at least sell it at a good price.

all the other items sound like items that can easily be replaced. Some of the old jars might be worth more than you think to the right buyer/collecter, but new jars can work better.

You didn't mention any cast iron but the stuff made in the USA can bring good prices too..\

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not much for telling people to keep stuff they don't want to haul around, but in this case, I'd also vote to keep it. At least until you can get the right dollars for the antique jars.

So on the jars, I'd keep any that are still in the original packaging plus the blue ones or antique ones. I'd keep one of the pots, the pressure canner and the crock. The jar lifters are easy & cheap to come by. I paid $6 for a whole kit with lifter, funnel, headspace ruler & lid magnet.

Don't forget, you don't have to have a garden to can. Most of what I've canned comes from the store or farmer's markets. So you don't have to wait for a garden to learn how to use it all. In fact, if you start using it as soon as you have a kitchen, you'll be a leg up when you do get a garden.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I second the comment about the crock. They are expensive to buy new. You don't have to use it for pickles, by the way. I have 2 (1 gal., and 3 gal.) that were used by my grandmother, mother, and now by me to keep flour and sugar in - don't have to refill as often as those teensy little things sold for the purpose. And easily emptied if you do decide to do pickles. As to the canning stuff, if it were mine I would keep at least some of it. Even if you don't have a garden yet there is nothing keeping you from canning bought stuff. Try a box of tomatoes from the local farm stand, or apples from a u-pick farm. It isn't cheating to can something that someone else has grown ;). Also, if you haven't canned before (sounds as if maybe you haven't) you will want to practice before the planned for garden inundates you with produce. -- BTW, if you DO sell the crock make sure you get a decent price for it. The last one I bought (here in SW Oregon) was 35 dollars for a 1 gal. crock, without a lid, 2 or 3 years ago. (Wish I lived near you; I'd store the stuff for you till you needed it if you'd let me use it in the meantime :D)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
The only way anyone will ever get my canners and jars from me, is to pry my cold dead fingers off of them.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
The pressure canner could be fairly expensive to replace, so I would hold onto it. Same with the pickle crock. Maybe, keep 1 of the big pots, if you don't want to carry both.
The tips about canning bought fruit and veggies could really work, so you might not need to wait long. I'd keep plenty of the jars, but they are heavy, so it's up to you.

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You'll not making it easy for me! Ugh! Well, I did ask for advice. I was afraid I was gonna hear that jars are inexpensive. I had hoped if i cleaned everything up I'd be able to get $200-$300 for the whole lot. But concensus seems to me that is way above and beyond. Good thing I asked here before making a fool out of myself on craigslist.

Problem is this folks. I'm very close to having this estate sale. Only now I'm short a few dollars to do it. I have advertising and city permit covered. Since I couldn't afford the rates that estate sales companies charge to do the sale, I've done 99% of the work. The only thing I'm paying someone to do is come in and price the stuff for me. That way I don't over price base on sentimental or financial attachments to items. Being conscience that I could potentially under price as well, I chose to hire someone for a very reasonable rate of $150 to price it all.

To some this may sound a useless waste of $150. From my perspective, yeah it is too. Fiance was sappose to help with that, but because of duties to her mother and father have prevented her from doing so. As explained above, my fear is either over or under pricing. The person I've hired to do the pricing has years of estate sales experience doing this, she knows what things will sell for. I can ill afford to have people come, after I've paid for advertising, and either walk around an not buy anything because everything's too high. Same point again, I don't want to give everything away either. And I personally don't have that much experience doing these sort of things, especially when it comes to things like mom's crafts, canning goods, and such. I've tossed in alot of my own stuff as well. There I have a better idea, but am emotionally-financially attached to them.

One thing is for sure...I what it done!!!! I've gone through all sorts of issues with this sale. Friends claiming to help that are conviently busy when I need them. Doing short sales on bulk items via craigslist only to have customers complain I hadn't sorted out stuff, when it was advertized "mixed". And then having a flood down there a week and half ago! Oh I'm sooo ready to have this done and over with already.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
First thing to do is cull the jars. Run your hand aroung the rims and feel for chips. Hold them up to the light and look for cracks. Make sure the older ones accept the contemporary flat lids and rings. Give away those you cannot use. Canner's won't pay for them and you shouldn't move them all around the country, because they are not usable for canning. They are great for dry storage, so if you need that, keep them.

If you have kitchen access, do a test batch with the pressure canner. I canned water my first time around. Make sure it works well, the seal is tight, and have the gauge tested if possible. If it is good to go, keep it. That's $80 you won't have to spend later on. Jar lifters and other accessories are cheap to replace, but also take up little to no room, so why get rid of them just to get rid of them?

If you have duplicates, keep the best one.

And finally, since you have boxes for all the jars, why not utilize the jars as packing containers for when you move. Wrap small things up in newspaper and pack them inside the jars. Put a couple of sheets of newspaper between each row of jars as a cushion for breakage. You have thus moved the jars and used them as packing material at the same time.

When you count the jars, realize that you will pay close to $10 for every dozen you replace. Is it practical to get rid of something for 25 cents that you may have to spend a dollar to replace on down the line?

I can speak from a lot of experience that the need for immediate cash sometimes screams more persistently than common sense. You are going to need all of these things. You have them in hand. Selling them would bring you only a fraction of their value. If they are usable...use them.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I don't go to professionally priced or managed estate sales. They are always priced too high for my budget.

When my grandmother died, we had a private bidding sale for antique dealers with some of her better things. Had a bid sheet in front of each item and took the highest.