TALchemist - back and moving along

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If it works, I'll be trying it next year. I only grew them one year, and hated growing them in the dirt. Thanks for the info.

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well here are a few pictures of the land i hope to be closing on in Oct. this a view down the upper pasture area towards the barn
5363_land2.jpg

and a close up of the barn.
5363_barn.jpg

in some of these you can see the small fenced are next to the barn, 2 of the stalls are in that pen area.
5363_land5.jpg

5363_land4.jpg

5363_land3.jpg

and just a show of the land
5363_land1.jpg

and just for good measure here is an old 1969 Cub Cadet C147 i picked up free since i could drag it off another guys property and he didnt want it. i got it running and new tires, almost done with the 48" mower deck. it has a cat 0 3 pt hitch and there are lots of attachments i plan on getting. this will allow me to do alot on the propert till i can afford a full size utility/small tractor.
5363_tractor5.jpg

5363_tractor4.jpg

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Nice! Wish I could find something like that around here-both the land and the "tractor"!

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
yeah, i was so luck to find that cub cadet and a 1969 troy bilt iron horse tiller at the same guys old shed, i got both up and running. i had to replace the troy bilts engine but i tilled my rows with it. :)i have always loved to fix things and build stuff. i think that is what got me into gardening...like building happyness :D

i am getting the pictures of my hens and rabbit hutch off my old phone now.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I have a Troy Bilt Pony that someone gave me, it wasn't running either. Hubby got it to run, but it won't do as much as your Cub will. Oh well, one day....

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ok, i got my pictures all sorted out now. first up my hens. i get enough eggs to share and feed myself :)
5363_chickens.jpg

now for my rabbit hutch. this was my first try and i decided to go more than half way so i designed a half shed where the roof overhangs enough to shade them well, latice side to allow air through and roll up tarp curtains on 3 sides plus a hang down on the forth for winter warmth. it was designed to handle 2 tiers of 3 cages. each cage is 32x24x24 but each teir is 1 peice with EMT conduit on top corners for load bearing and hanging up. i use a plastic sheet at angle to drop the upper teirs poo/pee away from the lower teir. the lower teir is about 6 inches in front of the upper teir to make it easier to drop.

here is the half shed
5363_hutch1.jpg

5363_hutch2.jpg

and all full <the bottom is grow out for the kits in this pic, although now there is 1 in each bottom cage>
5363_hutch3.jpg

and this was my late doe Mary's biggest litter 9 all good
5363_cuteness.jpg

and so the dog wont feel left out :)
5363_dog.jpg

also here is that tiller i rebuilt, i am good at fixing things according to my parrents.
5363_tiller.jpg

on a weird note, last year was not a good gardening year. i lost all tomatoes to combo of late and early blight with a side of stupid birds! :somad but for some reason my turnips did awsome, especially since i never planted turnips....or so i thought :hide i thought i planted mustard greens....i was eating the greens then one day i saw some big white bulbs at the base and i hade to double check my seed packets. yep i picked up the wrong packet at the store...lol....but they grew good and i got 3x this
5363_turnips.jpg

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Wanna come over and fix our tiller? Hubby keeps saying he's going to do it and has been saying so for the last couple of years. :hide

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your pix are killing me...but in a good way! :D

Love your Bun Barn! We messed up with the construction of ours and didn't extend the roof out far enough but it's on the to-do list, once the weather cools off a bit.

And speaking of buns...you and HandledWithCare are both killing me with those New Zealand Reds...I want a pair! :lol:

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
Your pix are killing me...but in a good way! :D

Love your Bun Barn! We messed up with the construction of ours and didn't extend the roof out far enough but it's on the to-do list, once the weather cools off a bit.

And speaking of buns...you and HandledWithCare are both killing me with those New Zealand Reds...I want a pair! :lol:
Haha I was going to compliment the reds! They are gorgeous rabbits, although I must wag my finger at all the badtalking my red eyed whites! They are so much bigger than the reds--it's odd but for some reason everybody that breeds both tells me this too. My white dos Holly is so massive! Her first litter was eight babies, and if not for the stupid killer heatwave we woulda been rolling in meaties! That being said, the reds are the moviestars of the Nea Zealand family. My new reds are all pedigreed and they are beautiful.

Anyway TALchemist, awesome farmpartment! Can't wait to see if you get the land! I wish we had you up here on our farm! Us two girls could use a guy who knows how to fix things! She's a rabbit genius and I have a degree in English but when it comes to machinery we just pray it doesn't break and pitch a fit when it does. It wouldn't hurt to have someone with a little more upper body strength and less asthma when we're fencing and building stuff too! Also, why do all the "easy DIY" plans online require professional tools and a contractor? Ugh build your own milking stand my foot! Well let me know if you ever wander up to Missouri with all your tools and nothing to do!

And welcome from Southeast Missouri!