TALchemist - back and moving along

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
well, almost another payday...only 5 paydays till i get my land. so far nothing is looking bad, everything looks good. i guess i will know more concreate by middle of Sept. it is starting to get scary...scary that it might fail or fall through...or scary that it will work and i will have alot of things that need doing....
It was the same for doc_gonzo and I when we bout our place. We fell in love with it, wanted it badly and when it actually happened so quickly, I know I forgot how to breath for at least a week wondering what we had just got ourselves into and was it really happeneing! :lol:

Congrats on finding someone who is looking forward to sharing this dream/adventure with you! :hugs

One of my proudest finds, when moving out here to Arkansas, was taking one of the several different back roads into my familys' place and finding a huge Meyer lemon tree. My aunt has been out in this area for over 30 years and never knew the tree was there. I have a pot full of seedlings that I am babying in hopes of setting them out as a future hedgerow. :fl

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I doubt very much that I could grow any of that kind of thing here. :(

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i just had to share these, i finally got a chance to go out to the property i am buying in october and test my finally finished cub cadet 147 garden tractor. i am so glad i got it done before i buy the land because it will be what i use to clear areas and maintain around the barn. plus i am getting the plowing and disking attachments for it to make my initial garden beds. this will be my work horse until i can afford a full size tractor.

here i am comming off the trailer
5363_tractor1.jpg

riding through the test area i cut. <the grass was wet and almost 3ft tall or more in areas>
5363_tractor2.jpg

and how the area looked after my test cut, i couldnt do much more because it started to rain.
5363_tractor3.jpg

and one of the best things about my trip to the land was my girlfriend came with me and she likes the land too, and cant wait to come bak and said she was willing to help me as i turn the barn into a house :) iguess match can work sometimes :) <even though match didnt match us, i just randomly found her picture :) >

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm drooling over your land and tractor. And, if the barn in the pic is the one you're planning on making into the house, it looks very doable. I didn't realize it wasn't a house!

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i went to auburn but i was a screw up there, after i woke up and got serious i went to auburn at montgomery. it was harder and i learned...i also paid attention...that kind of helps.

the idea is that the enclose part of the barn 600 square feet will be taken back to pole frame and completely built up into a small house for a few years. i will go with 1/2 plywood sheeting, 1/2 foam sheeting, then the paper stuff, then hardiboard siding...with regular roll insulation in the frame walls. going for high insulation value and it wont be much more to do. i have already modeled the entire thing in 3d and caclulated all the costs with a 25% extra allowance including new appliances to cost about $6000 for a finished house. and i wont borrow anything...will take 3-4 months to pay and build it i imagine since not a single step is complicated really, i have good experience with building things and built 2 houses from foundation to finish for habbitat for humanity.

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
yeah it depends what you want here and how far from town...my parcel is 8 acres about 30 miles from my work. (40 min drive) and it is going for $20k for the barn(50x30 pole barn) and $2.5k an acre. most land is $2-7k an acre here depending on size of property and distance from town.

MarylandFutureFarmGuy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well I figure if I save up most of my salary and whatnot and live with my parents a year or two after I graduate, (considering I'll probably graduate a year early), I'll have a nice start....It just dawned on me....I'll be graduating when I'm 20.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Land is expensive here. In order to get what I want, I'll probably have to move out of state. But, that's still a few years down the line. Both my parents and my MIL are older, so I prefer to stay put for now. I don't know how much longer I'll have them, and right now, I'm not that far away from them.