TanksHill...Roll on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Tank I just realized something you need a title. What are some ideas?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ok new question.

I went to put the turkeys in their hut and I couldn't find one of my girls. She was over the fence today so I was thinking she was a gonner. I found her on the top roost in the chicken coop. It's been drizzling all day and if you ask me it was a pretty smart place to be. So I moved the feed inside and the other two turkeys followed. So they are all bunking down together tonight.

Is that gonna be a problem? Will the turkey be mean to the chickens? They free range all day together with no problems.
Am I gonna wake up to WW3?

g
I think it will be okay. When my ducks and chickens met they were fine. And when they were integrated they had no problems. I was worried the chooks would be mean to the ducks.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had a title once and I requested it be removed. I used to be "Solar powered" Somethig my Mom always called me. Then my dh and I were going to try and open Solar Business. It failed. I think right now I am really just undefined.

Thanks for noticing though.

Thanks for the turkey advice as well.

g

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Your welcome!! I thought about a turkey related title but Im dry on that.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
We added three turkeys to our chicken coop a few weeks ago.
The chickens acted like we had thrown them to the dogs for a day or so.
Now they snuggle right up to them.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hate to admit it but the little hut I have my turkeys in was supposed to be a chicken tractor. I wanted to do creepy meat birds but it didn't work out. So my turkeys were down the other hill all by themselves. So when I got that fencing on my orchard I figured they could move up hill. I used the chicken tractor for them. So they went from a nice warm house to an open air tractor. I think they just like being inside more. I don't blame them with this rain.

Hey I am looking on the bright side here. Now I have an empty tractor!!

:D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey tanks!

hows it going with the turkeys and the hens? they might get along fine ..Runner, our turkey hen, lived with the clucks all last winter and into late summer and it was fine. if they are about the same size you'll be ok. otherwise there may be bullying.

but the one problem to watch out for is something called Blackhead disease - turkeys fall over dead from it, chickens dont. you either have it or you dont (your local extension agent can tell you if its in your region).

we also have to be very careful with cocci - very young turkeys can get it and die in a couple days. be on the lookout for weirdly yellowish poops and a strange "huddling" stance. if the turks get it you have to administer sulmet within a day or two or they will start dropping dead. its wildly frustrating. eventually the turkeys will develop an immunity to it but young ones are extremely susceptible.

hope everyone is ok!
:)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey OFG, yeah I was thinking about all of that. My turkeys are about 5 months old now. They are considerably larger than my hens but all seem to get along pretty well. I was surprised that the hen was on the roost in the first place. But I think she is the same one who's flying over the 5 foot fence. Trouble that girl, I tell ya.

I will go out and check on the when the sun finishes coming up. Burrr...

g

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
December 19th

We have had nothing but foggy drizzle for the past couple days. No hard rain like northern and central Ca. They say there is still a chance but we'll see.

The turkey hens are going to bed with the chickens. Last night the tom was wandering the orchard so I shooed him into the run and closed the gate. I assumed he went in side at some point. so tonight I didn't go down until just after dark. I was distracted by a big bowl of chicken and dumplings. :D All the hens were on the roost but my tom was sitting out in the run. Kinda snuggled down. It is covered with a shade tarp but I hope hes not sleeping out there. Could he get sick?

Dh took the kids to go Christmas shopping for me this morning. Which gave me a couple hours to power wrap. I got everything done and under the tree. That helped a ton because the kids are off school now.

Other than that it's been a pretty quiet weekend. BIL came over yesterday morning and helped dh take the broken fan bearing out of the Freightliner. So that's going somewhere and hopefully not going to cost an arm and a leg. He brought his 6 and 8 yo boys with him. Not a problem but my 3 didn't get there chores finished. Tomorrow morning I am going to have to have them finish their rooms. They wont be to happy. :p

dh and I had some pretty serious conversations about moving this weekend. They went from one end of the spectrum to the other. First off I got in trouble for spending to much time on the computer. Then he got mad that I packed some books. He said he didn't think it was necessary. Then after a day of me carrying on and pretending like he was not here.... ;) he changed his tune. He was talking about moving with BIL and telling him about the farm I found. Then basically just said "fine I'm done lets go". :ep So that's the story for today. :idunno

I think hearing an opinion from someone else about what we should do and how much the house might sell for really opened his eyes. Typical man thing. Doesn't really believe anything until he hears it from someone but me.

So tonight at dinner I started talking about June, and listing the house. He says "I don't want to wait until June" :ep So he goes from were staying to let go now in a blink of an eye. I simply said no. The kids don't get out of school until June. So that what we will shoot for.

Well thats the story this week.

ugggggg!!!!!!!!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ugh, I feel your pain. I have completely given up on the dream of ever moving. I just don't think it is God's plan for me anymore.

As an ex- real estate agent, I would encourage you to list your home sooner than June. April would be good. That will give you time to clear it out, get rid of all clutter and de-personalize it...as in start thinning out photos, and paint over any custom color stuff....think plain boring vanilla. You are very likely going to be on the market for a few months no matter what and most people start looking in the spring with plans to close escrow and move in early summer when kids are out of school.

I am happy for you that your Hubby is finally on board!

Status
Not open for further replies.