TanksHill...Roll on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tuesday June 15th

Tomorrow is the last day of school for my kids.... I am stying in bed all morning and they can all fend for themselves!!!

Went to bed around 9:30 last night. Minutes later I woke up with the house rocking and rolling. I actually heard the earthquake coming. My whole family slept through it. My dh was rather annoyed when I jumped out of bed and ran through the house to check on everyone. A 5.7 on the Mexico / Ca border. Rather shallow so we felt it pretty strong.

Well the review on the pies was not that great. The whole wheat crust was to much for my kids and kinda chunky for the jar. The filling was blah because it was canned. I think if I am going to make them again I will make a nice fluffy butter crust and homemade apple filling.

I will let you know!!

I have a headache!!! Not sure if its the lack of sleep or the alarm going off at 4am. I got dh out the door and sat and watched the news. My eyes kinda hurt.

Well my house is a wreck.. I guess I need to catch up around here. I need to figure out something for the kids to take to school tomorrow as teacher gifts. :sick

I'll be around.

gina

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Scary!!! I do not like earthquakes. Well, I have to say I do not like the idea of earthquarkes, have never been in one.

And hey, on the pies, rare is the first try that turns out right ;) Hope your head feels better!

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was the only one here who felt the earthquake too. It was a very gentle rolling by the time it got clear up to LA.

Have the kids write thank-you cards as teacher gifts. :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is an excellent idea!! My friend is on PTA and she is always telling me the teachers usually receive so much "stuff". Why should I waste my money. They don't want or need more "stuff".

g

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I am about to die to try those pies but have not gotten around to it yet.

At my house 3's usually the charm batch. Maybe thats why I so reluctant to try new stuff. All that work and its not good. LOL

Oh well, practice makes perfect.

Thank you notes are good.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks, I just happened to get 2 dozen of those little jars from a garage sale last month. So It was just a matter of putting them together.

You know I did eat one. I think that's where I got my headache from. Way to many carbs and sugar. I have been cutting back so my body was not used to it.

I just remembered I picked some carrots yesterday and 2 days before that. I have also been picking heads of lettuce. Just a couple things that are ready. It has been cool here so with the late start my garden is still kinda lagging.

333_img_1733.jpg

After I picked these I went to another box and planted more. I am trying to do succession plantings instead of large crops this year. We will see how that goes.

gina

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Friday June 18th

It's quiet around here this morning. My kids had a sleep over last night at their Aunties. Dh was up before dawn and I sent him on his way about 4 am. That gave me plenty of time to putter and get my morning stuff done.

I let my hens out early today. Went to my lower coop to check on my 12 buff orps. Today was a great day. I got my first egg. I knew they were ready to move in with the big girls but now they need to go for sure.

This may be a good thing. I saw turkeys at the feed store yesterday. Thinking about using the coop for them.

I went out into my garden. Pulled some weeds. Mulched my potatoes. I can see little flower buds forming. Seems early. I only planted the second week of April. I spent some time pulling some old woody oregano and sage from one of my beds. It was taking over. I have plans for a new herb garden so they just needed to go.

I found something interesting. It's what I call a 1/2 tsp of oregano. :lol:
333_img_1740.jpg

333_img_1741.jpg

Must have gotten lost in the garden box sometime last spring. I was surprised to find it.

My spaghetti squash is doing well. Nice big veggies.
333_img_1743.jpg

This is one of the Mothers Day boxes. After first planting some old seeds that never took this is my second try. Wax and green beans with a zucchini in the middle.
333_img_1744.jpg

Oh and one last thing. My diet cabbage. Not only is it low carb but with all the holes it half the calories. :barnie

333_img_1749.jpg

g

Status
Not open for further replies.