Tapping trees for Syrup

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
He probably didn't answer any questions, b/c he was inexperienced. Kind of like all the You tube video tutorials, that mid way through, the poster states: "This is the first time I've actually done this, but... blah, blah, blah!"

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
He probably didn't answer any questions, b/c he was inexperienced. Kind of like all the You tube video tutorials, that mid way through, the poster states: "This is the first time I've actually done this, but... blah, blah, blah!"

I LOVE it when newbies make a how to vid on YT.... :rolleyes: Then other newbs are thanking them in the comments and exclaiming how wonderful all that knowledge was, while experienced folks in the comments are telling them all the mistakes they are making.....but the fact remains, that newbs seems to like to learn from others just like themselves, for some reason. They completely ignore the words of wisdom from the more experienced folks and continue on...it's weird, but I guess they are making money from it all, so they don't really care if they spread misinformation. :hu

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I LOVE it when newbies make a how to vid on YT.... :rolleyes: Then other newbs are thanking them in the comments and exclaiming how wonderful all that knowledge was, while experienced folks in the comments are telling them all the mistakes they are making.....but the fact remains, that newbs seems to like to learn from others just like themselves, for some reason. They completely ignore the words of wisdom from the more experienced folks and continue on...it's weird, but I guess they are making money from it all, so they don't really care if they spread misinformation. :hu

I agree with everything you said. One needs to be careful what info they gain on the Internet. Most all of the information is false to some degree or another.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just a little tip for making maple syrup, make sure the trees you're tapping are actually maple! I was talking w/someone a few years ago that tried to make syrup, and had no luck. I looked at the trees. They weren't maple-they were sweet gum.
That’s funny! Pitiful, but funny!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good point. I often wondered how the tubing system functions when taking the wild critters into account. I like to watch the squirrels and birds hanging upside down off a tree branch sucking the sap off, or eating the sapsicles.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tree tapping is mostly finished for 2020. Even up north here, the trees are starting to leaf out.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don’t make syrup, but I believe you can make syrup from all those trees. You can also make syrup from hickory.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I highly recommend that you DO NOT boil the sap down in the house. A friend did that and found that the steam creates a very sticky ceiling. He had to scrub the ceiling, then seal it with Kilz and then paint it.

I was told that the key to a good maple syrup is to warm it slowly and don't add cold sap to anything you are already boiling.

I will ask my maple syrup guy for any advise for someone starting out. I have it made, he gets the excess eggs, I get maple syrup. Right now, I have 8 pints in the cupboard to last until next March.

Thanks :) I did take a weekend class at the local community college, 6 years ago on making maple syrup, I don't recall how much it cost but it was very inexpensive, $20.00 maybe??? The instructor was a real jackass and wouldn't answer anyone's questions. The class was pretty much a big waste of my time. And raised more questions than I originally had before taking the class.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How do you make $$ from a U-tube video?

I know enough to be dangerous about that...watch a few now & then, more for entertainment than anything else. So, from kickback of some sort from the ads :idunno

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
How do you make $$ from a U-tube video?

I know enough to be dangerous about that...watch a few now & then, more for entertainment than anything else. So, from kickback of some sort from the ads :idunno

People are making millions...literally....on YT channels. One young girl started out giving make up tips and now she has her own make up line and was a millionaire by the time she was out of her teens.

It's all about hits, subscribers, followers on Twitter and other social media and if the channel is monetized.

If you get a large enough following, then businesses start sending you product to try and then give a review on, you get your own merchandise and market it, etc. All sorts of channels can get this sort of thing~hair care, homesteading, sewing, singing, make up and fashion tips, mechanics, horse training, etc.

There's even a zit popping channel or two that gets millions of hits and subscribers, earning the owners huge money.

If you happen to get a vid that goes viral, it can run into the millions just on that one video.

Here's how much a simple vid on WD-40 on headlights made....$22K!