Taxes!!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I used to do that too, file the *moment* my W2 etc came in the mail (I was usually not getting much back but every bit counts and why should the gummint get the interest on it)

But now, because this is Canada and because of our retirement-savings investments, I cannot even START taxes until usually about 2 wks before the due date because the expletive-deleted investment dudes won't send you the necessary statements until then.

It really, really annoys me. Not only because we can use the money more than the Canadian gummint can use the interest on it, but mainly because it forces me to do it all in a last-minute rush.

There are some things I miss about living in the US, and that is definitely one of them! (Although, I will say, it is possible US investment firms are not a lot more prompt; it is not something I had to worry about then, so to speak)

"Enjoy",

Pat, whose husband flat-out refused to believe, for the first couple years of our marriage, that I could *possibly* do our taxes by hand without buying a software kit. Hey dude, I had to do multivariate statistical analyses on huge datasets in grad school by hand (for classes; for real life of course we used software LOL), *taxes* are no big deal. At least now he believes me :p

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, nifty trick...

You don't HAVE to have the W-2 if yours is a simple one. All you need is the employer EIN, and your last pay stub.

Turbo Tax reconstructs the W-2s anyway. So as long as you have the data that goes in them, you can file.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you use TurboTax, and e-file, they reconstruct the W-2s, so you don't have to mail them in.

I don't mail my income taxes in, because it takes way too long. If I e-file by the middle of January, I can have my return by the end of January.

If you mail in your return, on an EZ form, then you'll have to wait. :)

But you can still run the numbers.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
only part about taxes I love is the REFUND!

Tony maxes out dependents so I get a very big refund check each year and I LOVE IT lol

money money money WA HOO

I take mine to a tax accountant and she whips them out in no time and always finds me everything possible to deduct. I just love that :D
Only $75 and worth it for me to have her complete them.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Ok people. You need to rethink this refund thing. First of all the government relies on you to overpay so they can waste your money interest free. Second of all, many states are issuing IOU's.

Do you trust these people to pay on an IOU? Can you wait to get the money until the state decides they feel like giving it to you?

Ideally you should owe zero with zero coming to you at the end of the year.