TEA Anyone?

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That one left me scratching my head, too, CARS. At the current rules, my parents' estate will be taxed in 2011. We are by no means rich. My father was a blue collar worker and my mother was a stay-at-home-mom until she was in her mid-forties, at which point she got a job making minimum wage. Neither one inherited much of anything except a strong work ethic and the discilpline to scrimp and save every penny they could to make their kids' lives better. I'm still amazed at how much they amassed by saving a little every day - something we could all learn from. My parents planned ahead and were cautious. The government doesn't deserve to benefit from their hard work and discipline.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Inchworm, you are so wrong, your parents are rich, filthy rich, and we need to tax their estate into the ground so all the poor people in the country who are just so deserving can have their fair share of all your parents' hard work and savings. Really, I think it's just so mean-spirited of you to think any other way.

Tax the rich! Feed the Poor! Til there are no
Rich no more!

Anyone remember those lyrics? I'd always loved that song, because I never really considered the lyrics. Now I know how awful those words truly are.

And Inchworm, I do hope you realize I'm being extremely sarcastic. People who work hard for their money are entitled to reap the rewards of their hard work, no one else is. No one unless they choose to share it - or leave it as a legacy to their children. How anyone can argue otherwise amazes me.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Inchworm, you are so wrong, your parents are rich, filthy rich, and we need to tax their estate into the ground so all the poor people in the country who are just so deserving can have their fair share of all your parents' hard work and savings. Really, I think it's just so mean-spirited of you to think any other way.

Tax the rich! Feed the Poor! Til there are no
Rich no more!

Anyone remember those lyrics? I'd always loved that song, because I never really considered the lyrics. Now I know how awful those words truly are.

And Inchworm, I do hope you realize I'm being extremely sarcastic. People who work hard for their money are entitled to reap the rewards of their hard work, no one else is. No one unless they choose to share it - or leave it as a legacy to their children. How anyone can argue otherwise amazes me.
I agree. I don't care if you have 11 zillion dollars, if you worked for it and paid taxes on it then it should NOT be taxed again when it goes to your legal heirs. That's ridiculous.

Reaction score
CARS said:
And how can you argue with someone who you don't know. I own and operate a profitable business, small scale farm and will inherit 750 acres of land (hopefully not for a long time). At land going for 3k to 4k an acre right now, your damn sure I am going to worry about estate taxes!!!!
Sounds like you should do some estate planning.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
What are the programs that are handing out money to the poor? I think I missed that. Seems to me we are giving the money to the failed corporate leaders and bankers instead.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
CARS said:
And how can you argue with someone who you don't know. I own and operate a profitable business, small scale farm and will inherit 750 acres of land (hopefully not for a long time). At land going for 3k to 4k an acre right now, your damn sure I am going to worry about estate taxes!!!!
Oh, you mean the 'rich person's' way of getting around estate taxes?

Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Big Daddy said:
CARS said:
Oh, you mean the 'rich person's' way of getting around estate taxes?
Yup.

CARS

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
OK, I think we've been off topic long enough.

Nice to debate with everyone though!

I'll just do what ever the Gov. wants/makes me do HOWEVER I am going to do what I can to CHANGE the Gov.!!!!!

Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
What are the programs that are handing out money to the poor? I think I missed that. Seems to me we are giving the money to the failed corporate leaders and bankers instead.
We are but they are giving all of it to poor people.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Really? I thought they were greedy and hoarding it for themselves?

Latest posts