Teaching Self-Sufficiency

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since there is no access to akitchen, how about making mixes. There is a good thread on here about that. Then the girls can take them home and use them. That would be a good Christmas present for their mothers, seasoning packets,pudding mixes etc.

I agree about using tools. I made sure my son knew how to sew and my girls knew how to use tools.

How about making birdhouses, coat hooks, boxes. Decupage?? is always nice, reusing pictures and things. Learning to tie knots, I have been teaching my DGD that. I like the idea of learning to do basic maitenance?? on cars also.

Making laundry soap, etc. When I was in 4th grade, a yard duty teacher taught some of us girls how to make a pillow out of washcloths and yarn, we stuffed them with used nylons. No sewing involved.

Study how people lived before there was all our convienences now. Have them try for a week to live without something. Ask like a thread here, 'what could you give up'

Talk about how/ what they could make for Christmas presents and decorations instead of buying them, including wrapping paper.

I could put down many more.

Monica