Teenagers who think famine=lack of snack foods

MountainMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My 16 yr old daughter had another little 'we're out of food, I'm starving, there's nothing to eat' moment. We laughed about it later, her equating the lack of preprepared foods with severe deprivation, but really!

Teenagers have their moments of appreciation for the simple things, but they seem to be more interested in sleeping late, iPods, clothes and makeup.

It used to be simple. They just came along on activities and had simple fun. It's hard to get them to appreciate self-sufficiency now.

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
My DD18 and DD12 say that ALL the time. They wont cook or whip something up. So they go hungry or figure it out hehehe..

MountainMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The problem is, I'll come home and she'll be low blood sugary, with that teenage girl look on her face, as if she is just so put out by incompetent adults, with a sigh and a roll of the eyes.

She's actually a great kid, but I wonder, have I not taught her to cook well enough? 100 years ago she might be married already, and running her own kitchen, and without all the modern conveniences.

I kept my cool today, since I had gotten a text message that read as follows: "Mom, i know it angers you when I say this but we SERIOUSLY need food. its not healthy 2 eat the same things again & again & ive actually lost weight!"

When I got home, my 14 yr old daughter taught her how to cook that nice salmon in the fridge, I cooked some noodles, and we had salad. I promised a raspberry pie from all the raspberries that are ripening.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I keep the food disguised....as INGREDIENTS! LOL

Baffles the boys every time :D

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:lol: I JUST left my teen years, almost 2 months ago and no food is a VERY SERIOUS THING. I would come home from working with the horses all day and would die if I didnt get food right then. Die. Meltdown. Scream, cry, lay on the floor. Very serious business.

My mom learned that after sunday morning chores, NOT to bring me to the store for shopping with her, I would take anything off the shelves that looked good.

Her grocery bill went down when I moved out on my own at age 18 :gig

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's not just teens. Mine are 3, 10, and 11 and there's never anything to eat :rolleyes: I can't wait until they are grown up and feeding themselves.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
4, 7 and 9 at my house. They know what I am going to say every time they complain. "there's fruit in the bowl" Its my standard response now. If it goes beyond that there's yogurt and sandwich makings in the fridge.

I came home from running errands on Sun. My dh could not believe it The 4 year old made herself a PB & J sandwich for lunch. I think it's when they get older and are used to having us cook for them the troubles begin.

kids.

g

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
MountainMom said:
The problem is, I'll come home and she'll be low blood sugary...
What does that mean? how can you tell? does she have a medical history?
Just courteous as I have read others saying the same thing.

edit: computer can't spell

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I would assume you and your family do not fast from food at all? Try it a couple times and I bet they'll change their tune! :lol:

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I would assume you and your family do not fast from food at all? Try it a couple times and I bet they'll change their tune! :lol:
Blackbird, your posts are so profound - are you sure you're a young long hair'd dude? or in my case my blond beard is just getting that touch of gray which not only makes me distinguished but also believable regardless of blowing wind (a hobby).

Latest posts