Television opportunity for family seeking self-sufficiency

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Holly crap I'm in!!!!!

Ok here's a question for you. Do you want someone with an established "life style" Or someone who is sooooo ready to jump that you may be able to talk her husband into it?

:D

As many folks around here know I have been on this path for a very long time. After my husbands successful battle with cancer and a job loss in the dip of 2009 my family has been working hard at acquiring the skills needed to do just what you describe.

We just need to make the transition. Which in fact might just make your show more interesting. ;)

gina

jabraw

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Holly crap I'm in!!!!!

Ok here's a question for you. Do you want someone with an established "life style" Or someone who is sooooo ready to jump that you may be able to talk her husband into it?

As many folks around here know I have been on this path for a very long time. After my husbands successful battle with cancer and a job loss in the dip of 2009 my family has been working hard at acquiring the skills needed to do just what you describe.

We just need to make the transition. Which in fact might just make your show more interesting. ;)

gina
Hi Gina,

Thanks for your enthusiastic response. We are considering families of all shapes, sizes and levels of eperience however our ideal family is close to what you have described. Essentially we are looking for families with a little knowledge but a lot of desire to learn and grow from the experience.

While we aren't discounting families who already have an established life style, a family who are yearning to "jump" would be ideal. A contributor contacted me recently with concerns that the family might be portrayed as foolish or as "nut-cases". My reply to that line of questioning is below which you might find helpful in giving you a better idea of what we are about:

"This show isn't about prepping or a belief in the impending collapse of society. What we really want to show are a REAL family coming out of their comfort zone to pursue a dream. Yes we want them to struggle at times and yes sometimes we hope this will be amusing, but no we definitely don't want them to look foolish. This would go against our goals of inspiring other families to become more self-sufficient in their lifestyles.

This isn't "The Kardashians go to the countryside", the families coming into the show will have to really want to pursue a self-sufficient lifestyle, they will be making a major commitment and may have to give up their jobs etc. to participate.

We don't want experts so are unlikely to take on any hard-core survivalists or preppers. We want the families with a little experience and a lot of desire to learn and grow from the experience."

I hope that helps and anyone who is still interested please do contact me on josh.bloom@raw.co.uk so I can introduce myself properly.

Best

Josh

jabraw

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
I think it would be cool. I don't know that I'm self-sufficient enough to show someone how to make a go of it, off grid, but I certainly do take care of much more of my own needs than everyone I know. Unfortunately I don't have any videos, as of yet to show, but I've been advised many times to start a web-site. I think there are a few, on the forum that could do it. The most I can do is give helpful pointers on raising poultry in a flood zone....or maybe doing a little of this and that in a flood zone. I think everyone has their little project that is their own and that they somehow excel at. Now there are a few on the forum that have taken steps to remain anonymous because they don't want the government or their neighbors to know everything they are up to. I can respect that. Some of us are running our side-line farms at a slight profit and it might actually be one day, used against us. A video of us.......well, you see where I'm going. But basically I think a video, such as what you proposing, would be a good educational tool. If it would be me, I sure wouldn't want to be portraited as a nutcase though.
Hi Rhoda,

Thanks for your support, I agree that people are wise to be sceptical and I definitely respect the rights of those forum members who have taken steps to remain anonymous. We don't want to intrude on anyone's existing set up, this is really an opportunity for a family who have a dream to change their lifestyle and take on the challenges of a self-sufficient home. This may be inspired by a recent development in their life or perhaps a dream they have harboured for years.

Hope that helps, and with regards to being portrayed at a nutcase, that is definitely not our intention, this show was originally developed last year with a mind towards more hardcore survivalists and preppers but was abandonned purely for the reason that we were concerned it might end up portraying them in a bad light / unfairly. Please see my later reply to Gina for more info on this topic.

Kind Regards

Josh

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
jabraw said:
TanksHill said:
Holly crap I'm in!!!!!

gina
Hi Gina,

Thanks for your enthusiastic response. We are considering families of all shapes, sizes and levels of eperience however our ideal family is close to what you have described. Essentially we are looking for families with a little knowledge but a lot of desire to learn and grow from the experience.

While we aren't discounting families who already have an established life style, a family who are yearning to "jump" would be ideal. A contributor contacted me recently with concerns that the family might be portrayed as foolish or as "nut-cases". My reply to that line of questioning is below which you might find helpful in giving you a better idea of what we are about:

"This show isn't about prepping or a belief in the impending collapse of society. What we really want to show are a REAL family coming out of their comfort zone to pursue a dream. Yes we want them to struggle at times and yes sometimes we hope this will be amusing, but no we definitely don't want them to look foolish. This would go against our goals of inspiring other families to become more self-sufficient in their lifestyles.

This isn't "The Kardashians go to the countryside", the families coming into the show will have to really want to pursue a self-sufficient lifestyle, they will be making a major commitment and may have to give up their jobs etc. to participate.

We don't want experts so are unlikely to take on any hard-core survivalists or preppers. We want the families with a little experience and a lot of desire to learn and grow from the experience."

I hope that helps and anyone who is still interested please do contact me on josh.bloom@raw.co.uk so I can introduce myself properly.

Best

Josh
While Josh has not said that this is a casting call for "GOLD RUSH" The TV show, you might want to look here for more on that show produced by his firm< http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Rush_(TV_series)#Overview >

jabraw

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
~gd said:
While Josh has not said that this is a casting call for "GOLD RUSH" The TV show, you might want to look here for more on that show produced by his firm< http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Rush_(TV_series)#Overview >
Correct the show is being produced by the multi-award winning company who produce Gold Rush, but is NOT a casting call for that series. More info on the company and it's other productions can be found at www.raw.co.uk .

Although I hasten to add that as a freelancer RAW are my employers, I am not "in house", I am employed on a series to series basis. I wish it were "My Firm" as I could afford a much nicer car and vacation for myself!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything else in this thread for a while and was wondering about it. Tankshill sounded so interested, and I wondered if anything has come from that. I would have been interested, but we are near retirement age, with broken down bodies-- I don't see us being able to go the full SS route. We just have a garden (theoretically anyway- weather hasn't cooperated this year) and just started raising ducks for meat and eggs (very small scale right now). But I would love to see someone doing this.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've been keeping in touch w/her, and haven't heard anything else about it.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I spoke back and forth with the OP a few times. Decided it was not for us.

We ARE however in the middle of a great adventure. When the dust settles I will be back to fill in the blanks.

I know some of my old friends are still here. Just so you know dreams do come true. Don't ever give up.

Gina