Tell me I am not the only one....

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
You aren't the only one BB :D

I'm sure I've mentioned before, somewhere on here, that I 'notice' what is on the conveyor belt in front of me :hide I have noticed that, the older the shopper, the more fresh items they have. Weirdly enough, there has been a slow transition with the older shoppers too - over the last year or so, they have started to go from occasionally seeing wine with their purchase, to almost always seeing wine with their purchase! (The boxed variety seems to be most popular) :hu
Well I am one of those older shoppers. So we shouldn't drink wine in our old age? I used to be a binge drinker that quit after one holiday party that I don't remember the second half of or how I got home. If I would have sat through all those AA meetings I would have a 15 year chip.:(
Much later in life when stress was eating my guts out) my doctor cured my ulcer and suggested that a LITTLE drink would help with the stress and had other benefits. So yes you will see me twice a week shopping for Fresh foods. Hit the farmer's market first and then the grocery store. [market day here is WED] and when my check comes I will go and buy my box of wine. Why the box? well cost might be a part, nobody packs great wine in boxes[boy I wish they would!] but the bag in a box has one great advantage air does not contact the wine as the bag emties. it is good to the last drop! that is important when you are only using one glass a day. Yep I buy wine in bottles in case someone drops in. But 750 ml is too much to drink alone. (would anyone like a bunch of wine saver gaggets that just don't work?)
Watch all you want but remember it works both ways I smile when I see some paying way too much for "Organic" crap grown in Mexico.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I just mind my own business - I don't worry about it. I worked in a grocery store through college, I've seen a lot of things that make me wonder where some people have their heads. :idunno

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
SSDreamin said:

I'm sure I've mentioned before, somewhere on here, that I 'notice' what is on the conveyor belt in front of me :hide I have noticed that, the older the shopper, the more fresh items they have. Weirdly enough, there has been a slow transition with the older shoppers too - over the last year or so, they have started to go from occasionally seeing wine with their purchase, to almost always seeing wine with their purchase! (The boxed variety seems to be most popular) :hu
Well I am one of those older shoppers. So we shouldn't drink wine in our old age? I used to be a binge drinker that quit after one holiday party that I don't remember the second half of or how I got home. If I would have sat through all those AA meetings I would have a 15 year chip.:(
Much later in life when stress was eating my guts out) my doctor cured my ulcer and suggested that a LITTLE drink would help with the stress and had other benefits. So yes you will see me twice a week shopping for Fresh foods. Hit the farmer's market first and then the grocery store. [market day here is WED] and when my check comes I will go and buy my box of wine. Why the box? well cost might be a part, nobody packs great wine in boxes[boy I wish they would!] but the bag in a box has one great advantage air does not contact the wine as the bag emties. it is good to the last drop! that is important when you are only using one glass a day. Yep I buy wine in bottles in case someone drops in. But 750 ml is too much to drink alone. (would anyone like a bunch of wine saver gaggets that just don't work?)
Watch all you want but remember it works both ways I smile when I see some paying way too much for "Organic" crap grown in Mexico.
I kinda figured it had to do with the findings about a glass of wine a day helping your health. Would certainly explain why most of them buy the box ;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't peek purposefully, but some carts filled to the brink of overflowing with more plastic than food do make me wonder sometimes. I try not ot judge though, not everyone can cook, or has time to cook, or WANTS to cook. It's their body :hu

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Yeahhhh I have a hard time with that now, too. If it isn't real and unadulterated, I don't want it. That doesn't mean we do as well as I would like, but we try very hard. And we continue to strive to be better.
This weekend we are going to attempt to do around of soup in the canner so that we'll have the start of a collection of quick meals to pull off the shelf.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, that works both ways. Because of people gawkng at my cart items... I uh... Shall we say... That I have to hide the feminine hygiene products and the family planning items under the other stuff. Yes, I'm 40 and still shy about that kind of stuff. :p

I have looked in other people's carts with kids and seen 2 carts. One with "groceries"/processed foods, and the other one full of chips, candy and soda. It breaks my heart.

On the other hand, people look in my cart, see my reusable produce bags, fresh bakery bread, very few processed items, and give me weird looks. Sometimes someone- usually a person older than me- will make a comment like, "oh look at all those healthy things!"

Oh, well. I try not to look at other peope's stuff anymore.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The only time anyone has commented on what I have in my cart was once when there was a good sale on flour and sugar, and I had (more then) several bags of each. An older gentleman behind me in line asked if I was planning on a lot of baking. And then started reminiscing about how, when he was young, the baking began with sowing the wheat. I said I wasn't that far along yet :p. I suppose I look in other people"s carts; it's human nature to be curious. But I don't worry too much about it; can't do anything anyway, except maybe shake my head. As I find more and more alternatives to supermarket shopping, I have less and less opportunity to shake my head.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
~gd said:
SSDreamin said:

I kinda figured it had to do with the findings about a glass of wine a day helping your health. Would certainly explain why most of them buy the box ;)
Have you been around us old folk much? when we find something that works, word gets around fast considering we mostly don't use texting, sexing or social networking on the internet. gossip can be fast! ~gd

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think what amuses me most in the shopping carts are the saddle bags of pop wedged on the sides of the cart. :lol: It reminds me of burros with panniers of goods strapped to their overloaded backs, trudging through a hot market place. It looks as if these folks are buying enough for a huge party but I think it's probably just a week's supply, if that.

I can't wrap my mind around drinking that much pop in my whole lifetime, let alone on a weekly or monthly basis.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
People in MN are usually too polite to comment on what's in my cart, but sometimes the cashier says something. I want to live in a world where people are more self reliant, so I see it as an opportunity when someone asks why I have 60 lb of flour or 20 cans of beans in my cart.

(I always patrol the canned goods for sales, too, BB.)