Tell Me Why This is a BAD Idea

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Mangles are good to grow for pigs and corn is a high nitrogen feeder, so it would most definitely benefit from being planted in the pig lot, though I would ferment it before feeding it back to the pig. Often you can do both, with planting the root crop and the seed crop together in the same space, stacking nutrients.

Salatin has some good ideas on the topic, though don't get sucked into to thinking he's all that...he just has a few good ideas on soil and pasture development that really work at his place. His book You Can Farm can help you with this project as he uses pigs the way you are wanting to do.

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My biggest concern about this was mentioned but not answered:

How long, if at all, should the manures be allowed to sit in the field before planting crops for human consumption?

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
~gd said:
DE may kill insects but it does NOT kill pathogens!
It has been found to be successful in worming applications. Also, it's drying properties would be useful in helping manures dry out faster, thereby depriving other pathogens of the moistures necessary for life.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
bubba1358 said:
~gd said:
DE may kill insects but it does NOT kill pathogens!
It has been found to be successful in worming applications. Also, it's drying properties would be useful in helping manures dry out faster, thereby depriving other pathogens of the moistures necessary for life. Yep worms are insects.However the moisture is still available to support pathogens. It is not magic fairy dust. But it is your place do what you want with it.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The garden part of it may not work as planned. You can't always space out the harvest because plants won't grow if the conditions are wrong. So if you plant lettuce every 2 weeks, it might all be ready at the same time. I'm trying to stagger my crops functionally---plant lettuce when the last batch has first set of true leaves, for example.

Otherwise, I suppose it would work. I like the green-manure/cover-crop idea. I've been told that pigs will really tear the place up, so don't plan on opening a golf course after the garden's harvested.