Tell me your funniest self sufficient fails!! I will crown a winner weekly

I HUG CHlCKENS

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Rules:

1.) These must have happened to you
2.) They must be true
3.) You may submit more than one
4.) They must be related to being self sufficient (Ex: Trying to build a chicken coop but it falling over on you)
5.) Can also be related to livestock (chickens, goats, cows, etc.)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh man.... funniest kinda sorta scariest story. The first one that comes to mind was a poor DH story. It kinda sorta happened to both of us. Not even real sure it's a fail, but it had failure, it had success, it had violence, and even death.

DH is not a country boy. He was raised in cities all his life and couldn't tell the difference between a sheep and a goat when I meat him. He's come a long way since then.

For awhile he was trying to learn to help me feed so I gave him the quail as his project. He as feeding one day when I heard a very loud "Oh S...!!! He called me to come help him. I get to the quail area and he's kinda standing back away from the quail cages with a horrified look on his face - just pointing at a quail cage. I looked and saw a HUGE snake in the pen. the snake had eaten a quail and couldn't get back out of the cage because he had such a big belly.

I took a closer look and decided it was a big black rat snake and non venomous. I don't particularly fear snakes so I decide to reach in and snag the snake. Like I said - rat snakes are non venomous - but they are nasty tempered and will bite you just for spite. This snake wasn't happy because he was trapped and couldn't get away.

I opened the cage door and tried to reach in for him. DH was standing right behind me peering over my shoulder. I reached for the snake and he struck at me. I jerked my arm back so hard and fast that I smacked DH in the face with my elbow. He had a really nice shiner for awhile!

Failure - DH failed to identify and remove the snake
Violence - I smacked DH in the face
Death - poor quail, poor snake
Success - I got the snake out of the cage

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine isn't so much a mishap and isn't as funny as some.

This happened when we first moved to this property. Hubby grew up in the city. One of the neighbors horses whinnied and he says "wow that rooster is loud." I just busted out laughing and explained it was a horse once I could breathe again. He's more familiar with animals now.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another one: I had some folks out to buy goats. They saw another one in the pasture that they were interested in and I went to catch that goat for them.

The buyer saw Cowboy and skedaddled out the gate as fast as he could saying something like "diablo perro." As best as I can understand he was calling Cowboy a devil dog, lol. He stood in another pen waiting for me to get the other goat.

In the interim my milking doe stuck her head in a bucket and of course it got stuck on her head. She started trying to run away from the bucket as fast she could (didn't work) and she fell into the water trough. The bucket started to fill with water, she was flailing and screaming when she could catch her breath. The customer was in the pen with her so he headed in her direction to save her but then Cowboy figured out what was going on. He came tearing around the back corner of the barn. The horses spooked towards the back of the pasture and they ran right by the back pen at exactly the same time as Cowboy came flying over the hog panel. He landed right on one of the mini's back nearly scaring the poor horse to death. He scrambled off and headed for the water trough where his goat was drowning, the poor customer didn't save the goat, but I swear the guy could fly! He couldn't get over the fence fast enough, and I couldn't reach anybody because I was out in the pasture watching and dragging an uncooperative goat.

All's well that ends well. I guess it wasn't a total fail because I sold goats that day and we all had a good story to tell.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Look what you started, lol.

A much simpler story and a total fail.

At one time I had goat feeders that hung on the fence. They had to stick their heads through to eat. It made it a lot easier for me to feed without getting trampled. Goats are always impatient about getting their feed and would stand up on the fence waiting for me to get there. This particular day it was wet and muddy (is it ever NOT at my house?). The goats were pushing for position at their favorite spot and pushing on the fence. Most of them were up on their hind legs with their heads through the fence when the worst happened. With all their pushing and shoving they snapped off a fence post and they all came tumbling down. Because half of them had their heads through the fence - they landed on their faces in the mud. (getting the idea that it's wet here a LOT?) It was quite a challenge getting them up and untangled. Not a great day to be a hungry goat!

I HUG CHlCKENS

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have one about my chickens and ducks: So about a week ago, I went outside to feed them. Our feed has dried meal worms in it. I had a woven basket that the feed was in. The weight made it collapse and all of the feed fell on my foot. Basically they thought my toes were worms and it hurt. :hide

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Another one: I had some folks out to buy goats. They saw another one in the pasture that they were interested in and I went to catch that goat for them.

The buyer saw Cowboy and skedaddled out the gate as fast as he could saying something like "diablo perro." As best as I can understand he was calling Cowboy a devil dog, lol. He stood in another pen waiting for me to get the other goat.

In the interim my milking doe stuck her head in a bucket and of course it got stuck on her head. She started trying to run away from the bucket as fast she could (didn't work) and she fell into the water trough. The bucket started to fill with water, she was flailing and screaming when she could catch her breath. The customer was in the pen with her so he headed in her direction to save her but then Cowboy figured out what was going on. He came tearing around the back corner of the barn. The horses spooked towards the back of the pasture and they ran right by the back pen at exactly the same time as Cowboy came flying over the hog panel. He landed right on one of the mini's back nearly scaring the poor horse to death. He scrambled off and headed for the water trough where his goat was drowning, the poor customer didn't save the goat, but I swear the guy could fly! He couldn't get over the fence fast enough, and I couldn't reach anybody because I was out in the pasture watching and dragging an uncooperative goat.

All's well that ends well. I guess it wasn't a total fail because I sold goats that day and we all had a good story to tell.
Epic! This should be in a movie.

No. A cartoon. :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Mine isn't so much a mishap and isn't as funny as some.

This happened when we first moved to this property. Hubby grew up in the city. One of the neighbors horses whinnied and he says "wow that rooster is loud." I just busted out laughing and explained it was a horse once I could breathe again. He's more familiar with animals now.
:lol: I have tears in my eyes. So funny!